• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870 upgrade

Associate
Been out the loop for a while and wondering if i should upgrade 4870 and what would be a worthwile investment.

my spec is asus p5e x38 intel PCI 3.0ghz cpu

dont really want to go for super high budget(ie gtx280 when 4870 was out) but a decent enough card to replace 4870.

hopefulyl you get drift

Associate
OP
i heard from some people here that 5770 isnt a big upgrade from a 4850 so would it really be worthwile?

also has anyone got a good link to a reliable site which compares graphics cards as i been out of the loop for a bit and i remember getting my 4870 based mainly due to the good reviews it had for performance and price. compared to nvdia cards at time

Permabanned
You really need to be a bit more specific about price and a lot of people are suggesting Crossfire without knowing if you have motherboard that does it or the space.

As it stands I could only really suggest the 5850 as a worthwhile upgrade.

Associate
I have been told from many people online and close friends that the 4870 (I have it in CrossFire which helps things and is playable with most games, CrossFire profiles installed) is similar to a 5870 in DX10 so there is no difference in upgrading unless you get that or CrossFire the 4870/5870+.

Again, this is what I was told since I was in the hunt for a upgrade or towards my future build but the increasing prices has me looking for alternatives and it seems I'm not the only one. I paid a total of £360 for both of my 4870 512MB on release 2 years ago and don't exactly have money to burn.

Associate
OP
the prices seem to be a little steep atm compared to the prices a few years ago when i got my pc with 4870 inside.(its 512mb)

comparison wise a good upgrade looks like the 5850 from the reviews it seems a good card. but reviews and actual game performance are two differant things

Back
Top Bottom