1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

    Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

    Dismiss Notice

4870 X2 should i

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by raycarmody, 24 Sep 2009.

  1. raycarmody


    Joined: 26 Mar 2009

    Posts: 165

    Location: Ashington , N/land UK


    I will be building a new i7 920 system next month and currently on my p4 have this gpu

    BFG 9500 GT 1 gb PCI-e 2.0 (16)

    I will not upgrade this, until the dx11 ones are properly out and working ...but I have a chance to purchase a

    ATi Radeon HD4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 (twin-GPU PCI-express graphics card bought for £350, less than a year old, ideally need between £150-200 for it)

    should I wait..or should i buy this an d expect to get a year out of ?


  2. cmndr_andi


    Joined: 23 Apr 2009

    Posts: 12,040

    Location: Glasgow

    Similar question was asked yesterday, but that was for a brand new, full warranty 4870X2. In you case, i think going for a new DX11 series would be better than a second hand 4870X2. I think you should have a look at the 5850, they are a touch under £200 at the moment and according to this review 87% of the speed of 5870s in the important resolutions.
  3. antipacker


    Joined: 18 Feb 2008

    Posts: 266

    i picked up a used 4870x2 for £120

    and it kicks the 5870's arse
  4. raycarmody


    Joined: 26 Mar 2009

    Posts: 165

    Location: Ashington , N/land UK

    Champion..to be honest was looking to wait for the nvidia's (I know my current GPU is crap) ...but was thinking wait a while and see how the land lies...ATI and Nvidia will be bound to have a battle around this and hopefully drop prices or increase functionality.

    I am not building machine until after the Win7 disk arrives..so will need to decide if i look for crossfire or sli in my mobo choice ( which at the mo is a Gigabyte GA-EX58 udr3r or udr5 choice)
  5. elpedro

    Wise Guy

    Joined: 7 Feb 2008

    Posts: 1,196

    Location: Surrey

    Ditto, I'm buying one from the MM which is coming tomorrow for £125. At my resolution (1920x1080) it looks like the 4870x2 is usually ahead of the 5870. Could be why the 4870x2 went EOL early...;)
  6. reygjabla

    Wise Guy

    Joined: 2 Mar 2009

    Posts: 1,653

    Location: London

    Not in the noise and power consumption department.:D
  7. johnerz


    Joined: 27 Jan 2009

    Posts: 406

    Location: Chippenham

    True, but thats not important to some of us :)
  8. raycarmody


    Joined: 26 Mar 2009

    Posts: 165

    Location: Ashington , N/land UK

    I would rather have somthing quieter ....if possible :) (well saying me...I mean the misses)