• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4K playback on AMD?

Associate
To answer OP's question, yes you can but not without using software to bypass the encryption and a compatible drive with compatible firmware.

The bu40n is a solid drive for UHD (you can downgrade the firmware to v1.0 with a bit of a Google) and Powerdvd 20 is perfect for playback once you've installed the secret sauce.

Whether it's worth it is a different story. A lot of older films with cgi (like the Mummy trilogy) look better in HD (combination of dated effects and fake hdr), but the Star Wars remasters look beautiful.

I do wonder if we'll see a relaxation once the PS5 hits, as its using Ryzen.

Soldato
OP
To answer OP's question, yes you can but not without using software to bypass the encryption and a compatible drive with compatible firmware.

The bu40n is a solid drive for UHD (you can downgrade the firmware to v1.0 with a bit of a Google) and Powerdvd 20 is perfect for playback once you've installed the secret sauce.

Whether it's worth it is a different story. A lot of older films with cgi (like the Mummy trilogy) look better in HD (combination of dated effects and fake hdr), but the Star Wars remasters look beautiful.

I do wonder if we'll see a relaxation once the PS5 hits, as its using Ryzen.

That's a good point, could be another reason to upgrade ;)

Permabanned
Going back to the PC playback thing. I'm going to ditch the whole idea and get a Panasonic 4K player. Less complication, full bitrate, HDR10, Dolby Vision, Atmos and watch straight from disc. To much faff to be ripping and setting up servers, backups, buying more hardware etc. Keep it simple :)

Yep good purchase, I wanted the Oppo £1000 one with the built in headphone amp and XLR but they died so its only Panasonic and i would probably toss.up between the Panasonic or the PS5.

Soldato
OP
Yep good purchase, I wanted the Oppo £1000 one with the built in headphone amp and XLR but they died so its only Panasonic and i would probably toss.up between the Panasonic or the PS5.

Yes the UB820 looks like the best for the money. Will have to wait for a while though as I also need a TV upgrade, AV receiver and speakers. Even mid range soon adds up! Waiting for furlough to end to make sure I still have a job too ;)

Back
Top Bottom