4K USB-C monitor and USB-C hub

Associate
Hi All,

Just got the LG 27UK850 4K USB-C monitor.

Overall Thoughts:

Really impressed with it.

I know it's pseudo HDR (8bit+FRC and only 400nits), but it's great with my Touchbar MacBook Pro and Xbox One X.

UHD Blu-ray:

Watched a load of demo scenes from my UHD Blu-ray collection last night and felt it was definitely bright enough sitting not far from it. The fact it properly shows 24p is really good. During Dunkirk I ended up watching nearly an hour without realising as got really drawn in.

My main TV is a 79inch 4K Sony 79X9005B but non-HDR so seeing films with HDR is a nice touch but obviously sheer size wins in my opinion. Won't be upgrading the TV until HDR is really matured and there's a OLED that is extremely bright for daylight viewing, very non reflective, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, Freesync, at least 75 inches and probably another load of features TV manufacturers will pump out in the next year or so that makes them even better for games and movies. Also still watch 3D so hanging on to that dying medium.​
Xbox One X:

Xbox HDR games like Sea of Thieves look stunning on this monitor. Great response time and it checks all the 4K TV details except Dolby Vision.

I think the next monitor upgrade I'd consider would be an OLED with Dolby Vision, but years away.​
Mac:

Use with the MacBook Pro is great (getting 1.5 retina resolution at iMac size when using the second scaled option).

I occasionally scale up for maximum space and the portrait mode is extremely useful for coding, or reviewing long pages.​
Flaws:

The flaws:
  • The rear USB ports become 2.0 when using the USB-C connection at 60hz display
  • No picture in picture mode
  • No angled pivot

Looking for a USB-C Hub:

As the ports are on the back I'm not finding the USB that convenient, let alone the fact they're running at USB 2.0 speeds. Therefore I'm considering a USB-C hub.

Is it possible to use one that passes through the display and draws power from the monitor with just one connection to the MacBook Pro?​

For example:

MacBook Pro

|
V​
USB-C Hub

|
V​
LG 27UK850​

I'm seeing ones with Power passthrough, but not sure that would carry the display signal from the MBP as well as draw power from the monitor.

Requirements would be:
  1. USB 3.0 ports
  2. Power and display from LG monitor (one connection to display from hub and one connection to MBP from hub)
  3. Ethernet - Gigabit speed
  4. SD Card
  5. HDMI - can these do 60hz?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom