5700 XT or RTX 2070 Super

Associate
Evening all, I've set myself a rough budget of £2k to spend on a new rig and am torn on which GPU I should purchase. I'm looking to run 1440p @ 144hz and potentially investing in VR at a later date (The Index looks fun, but I'm not so sure I can justify spending another grand for the tiny pool of VR-ready games out right now) Any thoughts on what would be the better choice?

I'd also welcome any feedback on the rest of the specs I've put together below too.

Cheers!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,740.78 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Soldato
If you care about VR ignore AMD. Nvidia does much better and is way more stable overall, which is paramount for VR lest you feel sick. Truth be told 1440p 144hz is only gonna happen in esports titles, so if you're cool with that then cool, but in regular AAA releases you'll be closer to 60 than above 100. You could probably shave a lot more from the build to save money and wouldn't miss much performance wise. Case is an easy 100 off. PSU another 20-30. SSD, probably another 30 (current NVMEs are kinda meh compared to what's coming so idk I'd overspend over a sata SSD with cache ie Crucial MX 500). Mobo, also seems a bit too much, I'm pretty sure there's decent X570 mobos <200. And finally idk I'd buy a 3900x over a 3700x for gaming, even tho the goal is high FPS gaming. The price jump is too big and the difference too small for games. And I'd also look into that cooler, I know Arctic 33/34 Duo ones are real steals (price/performance). If you were just going for a black theme and don't mind the cost, then disregard what I said.

Soldato
Hi welcome

A 3700X is good enough for gaming.

Cheaper cooler. The Arctic Freezer is one of the best value budget coolers. Seems to perform a bit better than the BeQuiet from the review I looked at.

The MSI B450 board saves money over the X570. It has wifi onboard as well.

I would look for a Sabrent Rocket 1TB SSD (Not the Rocket Q). Not sold on here so you would have to google it.

Case is personal pref, but something like the one below shaves just over £100 off. A Full Tower isn't needed anyway for a single gpu air cooled system.

The Corsair RMx is superior to the RM. The SuperFlower Leadex III is a good unit, and nice and quiet as well.

Assuming Nvidia is better for VR then a 2070 Super is good for 1440p. The 2080 Super is around £180 more and isn't a huge amount faster.

The Arctic cooler is out of stock on here, so you would have to look elsewhere, or you could go with the slightly cheaper single fan version.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-esports-white-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-071-ar.html

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,482.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys, Ryzen 7 and GTX 2070 Super it is then. Having looked into it some more, I’ll stick with a SATA SSD over NVME for now - the real world performance doesn’t seem worthwhile for what I plan on using.

On the Motherboard; is PCIe 4 not worth it now/for future proofing? That was my main reason for looking at the higher cost options.

Soldato
Neither card is going to last against next-gen cards.
Heck, not even against consoles:
Next Xbox will have 2080 Super level GPU conservatively estimated.

On the Motherboard; is PCIe 4 not worth it now/for future proofing? That was my main reason for looking at the higher cost options.
Unless something changes in use of GPU, PCIe v4 won't make more than rounding error level difference to gaming performance until couple years from now.
Though next-gen consoles could be game changers in many things including that.
For one thing they're no doubt going to make gaming PCs of average consumer masses look bad.

Anyway for future proofing I would demand board, whose chipset cooling can actually work semi passively and doesn't rely to fan running all the time/its failure risking fast chipset overheating...
Because of tiny tinfoil origami heatsink under big marketing BS covers and positioned under the heat of graphics card.
While CPU VRM is first class, Asus really hasn't improved their active chipset HSF design quality much from that of 15 years ago.
After MSI ruling in B450, Gigabyte did the best balanced design in X570.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html

Back
Top Bottom