• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700XT black screens

Associate
OP
I'm running a single 3440x1440 monitor with a stock clock Powercolor 5700XT Red Devil & I've been getting random black screens ever since I bought it, I could go days or weeks without a black screen but last week it did a black screen & died permanently, When I tried to boot up I got nothing on screen, no spinning fans & no lighting up except for a red light on the pcb near where the monitor cables plug in, I still have an RX 480 Red Devil so I did all the checks like reseating the gpu, testing the power cables et cetera with both cards & the 480 was fine so I returned the 5700 to get it fixed under warranty.

Feels like its getting worse to be honest went turn PC on today and bios screen windows loadings show but once get to login both screens go off.. had turn on and off a few times to get woeking and now keep getting crashing again only other thing i had repair a core windows file other day maybe just maybe a fresh install of windows might or i am using a PCI riser cable but was fine for a month or so very few if no crasheshmm. If not card is dying and i have no warranty from the looks of it since i waterblocked it a week or so after i had it:'( if 2 months old

I had this exact same issue (black screen, audio, need to power cycle) with a much older AMD card and would get different periods of "OK" with much older drivers but it was never 100% and oddly I think was linked to specific game engines.
As they tasked the system more I assume the power needs of the card ramped up, fans came on and chips got hot and my system couldn't cope.
I assumed that different (older) drivers had different power management settings and were just more stable.
Whereas newer drivers push for every bit of performance and use more power.

I tracked the problem down to an old power supply that was working "fine" most of the time. Replaced it and updated drivers to latest ones and had no more problems.

PSU is a few months old and was working fine with my AMD fury which was more power hungry then this this has black screened even on desktop when card is idle

Soldato
The latest Adrenalin driver 20.1.3 was released a couple of days ago. Maybe worth a try since they mention that some black screen issues have been fixed.

Associate
I just found out that turning my monitors off and back on again gets me the screen back. It's annoying, but it's a hell of a lot better than hard booting the PC.

Associate
OP
I haven't read every post here but what PSU are you using? And how many pcie cables are you using to power the card?

Superflower 850w *not sure on model* but is under a year old and a single cable with 2 8pin's been running fine for a while just last week or so been getting worse now i just keep getting loads of warnings in event log display driver crashing with older and the newest driver

Associate
OP
see yesterday was getting warnings loads.. first 30 mins.. black screens but once that all happened after playes games for 4 hours fine.. and so far today no black screens or nothing and been playinh tarkov few hours

Soldato
Superflower 850w *not sure on model* but is under a year old and a single cable with 2 8pin's been running fine for a while just last week or so been getting worse now i just keep getting loads of warnings in event log display driver crashing with older and the newest driver
It is highly recommended that you use the 2nd pcie cable from the psu and use that to plug it into the pcie connector of the card. This card works best with 2 separate pcie cables.

Soldato
Ill try that going take out my riser Card aswell just incase anyways

a) You need 2 power cables from PSU to GPU
b) I do hope you aren't trying to run the 5700XT on riser at PCIe 4.0 yes? There are NO 4.0 RISERS YET!
You either remove the riser or FORCE pcie 3.0 on bios.
c) Do not use MSI AB as it doesn't support Adrenaline 2020 drivers. (to anything newer than 19.11.x)

Associate
OP
a) You need 2 power cables from PSU to GPU
b) I do hope you aren't trying to run the 5700XT on riser at PCIe 4.0 yes? There are NO 4.0 RISERS YET!
You either remove the riser or FORCE pcie 3.0 on bios.
c) Do not use MSI AB as it doesn't support Adrenaline 2020 drivers. (to anything newer than 19.11.x)

1. it ran for a month or so no problems since its only a 8pin/6pin but i have now gone single cable each
2. it runs both on 4/3 googled it a few times and others said no problem but i did test with 3.0 for a week or so and still same problems
3. didn't know that only use every now and again bit ill use AMD in software ones thanks

Associate
Just an idea. If not done so already. Update your bios and download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Associate
I've had issues with my 5700XT not waking and going blank and saying no signal detected or crashing from a game. I didn't realise my monitor driver was still 2006 generic in windows 10. Just updated, so going to see how it goes. Using 20.2.4 drivers have been fine apart from sometimes not waking.

Back
Top Bottom