1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

5770 - Catalyst 10.2 - problems :-(

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by fRostiE, 21 Feb 2010.

1. fRostiE

Soldato

Bought a new XFX 5770 XXX to replace my now dead 8800GT, wiped the nVidea drivers and installed the XFX with Cat 10.2's from the ati website...

i keep getting weird errors, random reboots... i took a couple of screenshots here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i've no idea whats wrong, simpleton gamer like me. Can anyone give any advise or provide a stable driver version which i could use for windows XP please?

bit gutting when you're new card is worse than the old one stability wise...

also, less important but - in Need for Speed: Shift... i have had to lower the graphics settings, not something i was expecting from this supposed upgrade to the 5770, any ideas why that might be?

Thanks,

2. TaKeN

Capodecina

System specs please :)

3. fRostiE

Soldato

Intel C2D E6600 - 2.4Ghz
    Gigabyte 965P-DS3P
    2GB DDR2
    XFX 5770 XXX

4. kerrgreg

Wise Guy

seems to me like it could be a problem with nvidia drivers still lurking around try running msconfig and see if the service/ start-up app is still running

5. paradigm

Caporegime

I really doubt it, otherwise I'd get problems running my 9800GT for PhysX along side my 5770's.

6. kerrgreg

Wise Guy

its quite possible that it hasnt uninstalled properly ive had plenty of problems with this.

without a clean install or being tested in another machine i see how its possible to rule out a driver problem. Even more so since its xp which doesn't support multiple graphics drivers and cards of different brands out of the box like win7 does.

7. fRostiE

Soldato

i un-installed the nVidea drivers through add/remove programs and rebooted into windows before shutting down and installing the new card and then installing the ATI drivers followed by a restart.

Windows keeps popping up with new hardware found and that it wants to install drivers but I've no idea why.

8. kerrgreg

Wise Guy

what does device manager say? should ahve the gpu and should also have a hd audio driver too

9. fRostiE

Soldato

how do you mean what does it say?

Device manager, under Display Adapter has -
    "ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series"

what would the HD Audio come under?

10. Azuse05

Wise Guy

Un-install both nvidia + ati, reboot, run driver sweeper (nothing too loose), re-download & install drivers.

11. fRostiE

Soldato

Un-install them in add/remove programs ?

12. GobzzzMp3

Hitman

Will just removing all Nvidia Products from Add or Remove Programs uninstall every Nvidia software on your Rig...

Or are there some really awkward drivers which you have to go into the depths to find xD

13. Chris Beard

Wise Guy

Frankly - backup everything and re-install windows. It will be quicker in the long run.

If you don't want to do that then:

1. Re-download the ATI drivers (make sure it doesn't happen instantly or it's probably a cached version)
    2. Use add/remove programmes to remove EVERYTHING with NVidia or ATI/AMD in the title. Now reboot.
    3. Install the freshly downloaded drivers.

If this does not work then:

A. Reset BIOS to stock settings (should be an option somewhere - reset to optimal settings or something like that).
    B. Follow step 2 from above.
    C. Download a programme called 'driver sweeper' from the internet (make sure you download from a reputable source).
    D. Run driver sweeper to totally remove all NVidia and ATI/AMD drivers.
    E. Follow step 3 from above.

If this hasn't worked then reinstall windows.

If re-installing windows has not worked you have a few options:
    i) Live with it and run 10.1
    ii) Try to RMA (although I'd try it in another PC first)
    iii) E-mail your card provider and ATI support to see if they can help

14. C64

Capodecina

uninstall everything download driver sweeper select ati and nvidia hit clean reboot when prompted
    cancel any attempt to install new hardware then install ati drivers

15. fRostiE

Soldato

would the nVideo PhysX thing effect the card? It seems its part of the NFS: Shift installation (i uninstalled it when removing the nVidea Drivers) and then went to play 'Shift' on the 5770 and it moaned about missing files...

After un-installing and re-installing the game the nVidea PhysX had come back... just strikes me as weird to have nVidea software on a machine which doesn't have an nVidea card.

could this be the cause?

16. fRostiE

Soldato

anyone know?

17. CreAtiv3

Gangster

Nope wouldn't be the PhysX software.
    Its been said already but your best option is to backup your important docs, save games, etc. and format and start from scratch.

18. Chris Beard

Wise Guy

Odd question but which version of windows are you using and which driver did you download?