• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer

Soldato
@Towel start at +0 boost, auto scalar, mobo limits and adjust curve first. See how negative you can go all core (usually -30) and then start to adjust based on how each core performs (can also check their peformance score in event viewer, ID 55).

Best cores won't need as much negative curve, but your worst can go quite far (majority of mine are -50). Once you find good curve vs performance you can start to add boost and then after that test out manual PPT, TDC and EDC, which should help reduce temps a bit. Leave scalar on auto.
What settings are you finding your PPT,TDC and EDC are needing?

Soldato
My chip runs hot at stock with the wraith prism cooler, so reducing temps has been my driving factor when tweaking these stats. I find lowering PPT has the biggest impact on temps. The trade off is that this also reduces the frequency all cores boosts to in multi-core workloads although you can offset this by adding negative values in the curve optimiser, I have all my cores set at -20. This keeps my max temp at 80 and all cores boost to 4550 Mhz. I have PPT, TDC & EDC at 118, 118 and 90.

Associate
It really depends on the individual circumstances honestly, but you can certainly use values from others as a baseline. I am currently on PPT 210, TDC 150 and EDC 185. Majority of cores are set to -50, one is -25 as it kept throwing WHEA-Errors, whilst my best core is -10 and second best -15. As @heartburnron mentioned reducing PPT does seem to correlate with reduced temps as well, but you will sacrifice elsewhere so it's all about finding the right balance for your set up.

PBO can be unreliable (I can pass benches, stress tests and play games without issue, but then I'll get an idle or low load WHEA-Error randomly), but it's also fun and addictive to play with.

Associate
It really depends on the individual circumstances honestly, but you can certainly use values from others as a baseline. I am currently on PPT 210, TDC 150 and EDC 185. Majority of cores are set to -50, one is -25 as it kept throwing WHEA-Errors, whilst my best core is -10 and second best -15. As @heartburnron mentioned reducing PPT does seem to correlate with reduced temps as well, but you will sacrifice elsewhere so it's all about finding the right balance for your set up.

PBO can be unreliable (I can pass benches, stress tests and play games without issue, but then I'll get an idle or low load WHEA-Error randomly), but it's also fun and addictive to play with.

How did you isolate that single core as the source of your WHEA errors?

Associate
@ollies

hey, had surgery so havent been checking this,

I will try that tonight and see how it goes, no idea how to use Event ID 18 in Event Viewer, and check ApicId. to isolate errors.

Associate
Was tinkering with PBO, decided to try to increase LLC.
I considered LLC not useful (why would I want increased multicore voltage?) and kept it at lowest setting (maximum vdroop)
Turns out it improves stability.

Previously +150MHz setting with 0 CO was occasionally crashing (LLC Low). Now with LLC Medium same settings with CO -10 are stable.

I will try that tonight and see how it goes, no idea how to use Event ID 18 in Event Viewer, and check ApicId. to isolate errors.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ow-to-configure-pbo-curve-optimizer.18920081/

Associate
Negative curve of 11 on all cores with PBO set to motherboard and a 125mhz increase gets me the below results. It seems to run pretty stable at this.

Soldato
Another month of 24/7 power and -19 All Core just failed with a random reboot finally. I have to be 100% stable at like -15 right? Would take some months to find out for sure.
Was just idle browsing in Chrome for this one.
-15 All Core assuming that wouldn't reboot months down the road seems like a poor result... gonna wonder if a new BIOS will allow me more whenever a new comes out too, but it'll literally take more than a month to find out if it did or not each time lol... this is so dumb.
My i5 4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz with static vcore for like 6 years never had a problem reboot or BSOD and 4.6ghz wasnt stable with the same vcore, Intel was so much simpler if it didn't work it would let you know pretty fast not be fine for 700+ hours straight and then have an issue

I had issues like that in my i7 4790k - it run fine overclocked at 1.3v for 8 months and then one day just started crashing every 5 minutes until I pushed voltage to 1.325v

Caporegime
Another month of 24/7 power and -19 All Core just failed with a random reboot finally. I have to be 100% stable at like -15 right? Would take some months to find out for sure.
-15 All Core assuming that wouldn't reboot months down the road seems like a poor result... gonna wonder if a new BIOS will allow me more whenever a new comes out too, but it'll literally take more than a month to find out if it did or not each time lol... this is so dumb.
My i5 4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz with static vcore for like 6 years never had a problem reboot or BSOD and 4.6ghz wasnt stable with the same vcore, Intel was so much simpler if it didn't work it would let you know pretty fast not be fine for 700+ hours straight and then have an issue
You probably just have one core that is one of your two Best cores that does not like an undervolt much. My best core of my 5950x only likes -7 negative offset, yet it is the fastest cpu core on these forums. Look at the Cinebench R23 ST resultsin the bench thread.

Associate
OP
Aren't you Canadian, stop making us look bad with S....D.

Associate
I'm having some major issues with my 5800x

Being "cooled" with a deep cool 240aio and I've not touched anything and In the bios at idle it's reporting 67C yet ryzen master is reporting 92C

I've re set the cooler twice now and I've

ordered another cooler just to see if that's the issue. Motherboard is a crosshair 8 hero running the latest bios ( the one needed for ryzen 3rd gen)

Never had this issue before installing CPUs over the years.

I've seen people mention the default volts are higher but I'm a little lost when it comes to undervolting.

Just to add I tired cinebench at stock settings and it shot up to 105C and switched off. So something definitely is not right

Soldato
I'm having some major issues with my 5800x

Being "cooled" with a deep cool 240aio and I've not touched anything and In the bios at idle it's reporting 67C yet ryzen master is reporting 92C

I've re set the cooler twice now and I've

ordered another cooler just to see if that's the issue. Motherboard is a crosshair 8 hero running the latest bios ( the one needed for ryzen 3rd gen)

Never had this issue before installing CPUs over the years.

I've seen people mention the default volts are higher but I'm a little lost when it comes to undervolting.

Just to add I tired cinebench at stock settings and it shot up to 105C and switched off. So something definitely is not right
Sounds like a contact issue. Either that or the coolers faulty.

Associate
W3ZCJGD

It definitely was the cooler got the freezer 240 installed and after messing around with voltages "default was like 1.4??? I got it to this
W3ZCJGD

Back
Top Bottom