• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5820K suddenly broken, Contact Intel or Upgrade?

Associate
Hi,

Recently, my i7 5820K stopped posting and has been tested on several motherboards. It's just under warranty with Intel so I could get it replaced. Saying that, the X99 motherboards are difficult to find and models such as the Strix X99 Gaming can cost around £250, which seems a bad investment given the platform's age.

Do you think it's best to get my CPU repaired or move to the 8700K?

Thanks.

Soldato
Are you in need of an X99 board as well then?

If it were me I'd get the 5820k back to intel for a replacement and check that popular auction site for a secondhand board.

Caporegime
b grade have some £100 boards. ebay prices can be silly for x99 boards.unless you get lucky.8700k is like a 5ghz 5820k. so it really upto you if its worth it.

Permabanned
Worse case get the CPU replaced by intel sell it off as it'll be retail packaged with warranty and upgrade to whatever you want.

Associate
this has just happened to me with my 5960x and rampage V extreme. I bought a b-grade replacement MB (they had no new ones) from OCUK. The motherboard I got from overclockers was literally just the mother board, no sli bridges, no standoffs, no motherboard screws, no manual, no original box, no HD cables, no 3.1usb module (paid £50 more for this version) in fact nothing but the motherboard, the wifi antenna was even missing (£300)! So I cant really sell my old one now (even though it turns out to be a broken CPU) as it has become a donor for the new one and I could never try to sell one like that. Could not of used it if I didn't have the old board. So you have been warned, I will never buy b-grade stuff from here again!!!!

Soldato
this has just happened to me with my 5960x and rampage V extreme. I bought a b-grade replacement MB (they had no new ones) from OCUK. The motherboard I got from overclockers was literally just the mother board, no sli bridges, no standoffs, no motherboard screws, no manual, no original box, no HD cables, no 3.1usb module (paid £50 more for this version) in fact nothing but the motherboard, the wifi antenna was even missing (£300)! So I cant really sell my old one now (even though it turns out to be a broken CPU) as it has become a donor for the new one and I could never try to sell one like that. Could not of used it if I didn't have the old board. So you have been warned, I will never buy b-grade stuff from here again!!!!

It does warn that there won't be any accessories. You took the risk.

I've bought a few b-grade boards and most have had the i/o shield at least. The one that didn't, I was able to contact asus and they sent me one FOC.

Associate
Intel are great about replacing CPU under warranty. I had to do that with 4690 and it was just on the cusp of three years . They asked if I had tested on another motherboard , I said yes (lie) and they were happy to send a new one with cooler. Admittedly ther e profit margins are high but after sales :D :thumbsup:

Soldato
B Grades are usually returns from the manufacturer and yeah they are mostly just bare and the IO shield is not guaranteed. I've still bought several X99 boards last year and the last one at £60 which was a very cheap way to fix a mobo killed by the dreaded DDR4 cold boot bug after putting 3000 MHz DDR4 RAM in it. It had worked perfectly for a couple of years before that with 1.2V 2400 MHz RAM.

8700K is the best gaming option (or even just the i5 8600K) where the i7 7800K would have more PCIE lanes but your're back to the expensive motherboards based on X299.

Back
Top Bottom