• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 or 4870x2

Associate
What did you buy? The 4870x2? Hope you like a nice, warm room and chunky leccy bills; check out the power usage :eek:

ajkx82.png

And that's just the GPU, never mind the rest of the system....;)

Associate
OP
The room is huge and always cold, and I play games maybe a couple of hours tops every couple of days.
I did mention power wasn't a concern. I just want the best performance for as little cash as possible :)

Just bought a q9550 for £140, hoping this suffices to back up the GPU.

Obviously if someone can prove it is a really poor decision I am a consumer and I have my rights, so I will cancel/ send back if necessary :)

Associate
To beat the 4870 x2 the op will need a 5870 x2 that will run just as hot and use as much electric but cost £600.He got a good card for a very good price that makes it better vfm than the new 5 series.Its winter so the extra heat will save on his heating bill so any amount more the card draws will save on the amount his heating uses.Anyway who cares about electric when talking high performance pc kit.Most members here have water cooled quads and multi gpu systems.The OP got £300 performance for £200.He made the right choice jeez why do you put the damper on his purchase.

Associate
The room is huge and always cold, and I play games maybe a couple of hours tops every couple of days.
I did mention power wasn't a concern. I just want the best performance for as little cash as possible :)

Obviously if someone can prove it is a really poor decision I am a consumer and I have my rights, so I will cancel/ send back if necessary :)

I wouldn't say it's a bad decision per se - I just think that the 5850 would have been a better purchase overall IMHO. I worry about power usage, heat buildup, complexity and that sort of thing, I like my kit to be as cool, quiet and straightforward as possible.

If that's geneuinely not a concern [and it appears not] then fair play, and enjoy - it still has massive grunt for the money. :cool:

Associate
The only thing to be concerned about with a X2 style card or any dual GPU set-up is the minimum framerates.

Changed from a HD 4870X2 to a GTX 280 just for this reason (mainly for Crysis).

Sure the X2 gets better frames in most sections, but performance nosedives sometimes and it's just not fun to deal with - the GTX280 give a steady 30fps in crysis at High settings/no AA without the nosedives in fps.

I wonder what the mins fps are like on the HD 5800 series...hmmm...

Associate
Hmmm, I'm rather cautious to believe the numbers for DX9 Crysis Warhead, mind you they do have a more powerful base system for the X2 card. The DX10 numbers look more real.

Associate

Hope your board is up to it. Otherwise, you might need a new board as well.:D

Associate
I've had a 4870X2 for a year now and I've had a good experience.

It is however frustrating when certain games you want to play don't properly utilize crossfire and you get poor performance. I can't tolerate it so I end up not playing the game, sometimes ones I really want...

besides that infrequent issue, it destroys games.

Associate
Little update, the price actually dropped to £198 delivered.
I had to cancel my original order and re-order at the new price.

I'm happy with the choice i made :)

Rambo hi - I posted a question very similar to yours recently and I am also looking to buy the 4870x2

£198 is a fantastic price! Do you mind letting me know where you were able to buy this from?

Cheers
Rixx

Back
Top Bottom