• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870...is it really worth it?

Soldato
look what you started, you couldnt have just said ''its £100 more' could you :D

id say the 4890 was better bang for buck, but the 5870 is a dam good card for single GPU. i don't like the way they priced it though, it means that nvidia don't even need to touch their prices cos it all fals into place. the GTX295 costs a little more and performances a little better :/

Soldato
The members market is provided as a free service to active and contributing forum members. OcUK are not liable for any deals that are done in the Members Market, you are free to buy and sell at your own risk. Please read the rules of the Members Market before you proceed to make your first sale.

Access to the Members Market forum requires two things. Firstly, you will need to have over 250 posts and have been signed up for at least 90 days. Please note that this does not mean you spam the forums simply to increase your posts, as this action will result in posts being deducted, and if you continue this behaviour, your account will eventually be banned/suspended. Once you reach 250 posts, you will need to activate your trust. This is either found in your UserCP, or you can press the trust button that appears at the bottom of all your posts.

Once you satisfy both of these criteria, Members Market access will be granted within 24hrs. Please do not post on the forums asking why you cannot access the members market, if you have any queries, email one of the forum Dons/Admins. The contact addresses are available in the FAQ.

Soldato
50% cheaper is using the 5850 as the basis. 50% of the 5850 cost is £100.

Well what I mean is that the 5870 is 50% more expensive than a 5850.

If you say item Y is a xx% cheaper of item Z, that % to be based on the price item Z. You can't swap them.

The 5850 is 33% cheaper than the 5870, or
The 5870 is 50% more expensive than the 5850.

No wonder the UK gets sucky maths results. :)

Soldato
Aye, but the 5870X2 is due out some time next month so that might help things a bit.

the 5870 will be outperformed by the next 3 top end cards

5870 X2
gtx 3**
gtx 3** X2

that is, if we get a gtx 3** X2........my personal view is, that many members here have brought way too early and you may regret it by Xmas....depending of course on price..

this 5870 is a little bit too close in performance to the GTX 295.... to me it seems a bit dissappointing

Soldato
lol I wish I'd never started this .... :) :o

to settle it all

THE 5870 IS MORE EXPENSIVE than the 5850

;)

and I may buy one

right lets move on :) he he

If you say item Y is a xx% cheaper of item Z, that % to be based on the price item Z. You can't swap them.

Associate

At last, I thought i was going have to post and correct everyone, but you beat me to it!

Soldato
I think I'll wait till the 5850 is about £130 and get one next year. That's if something else doesn't become a better option. GTX 260's were ~£200 on release and it wasn't too long before they were about £130

Associate
I'm building a new system for Win7 release (been overdue for months but I cba reinstalling everything twice in a short period of time) and it's a real toss up in graphics, I don't play demanding games but that's more so a product of my terrible rig than a lack of desire..

The 5850 is looking real nice at 33% less than the 5870 for potentially 85% or so of the performance but I don't know if I'll regret not taking the splurge in a few months time!

Have a few weeks to decide I guess, hopefully inspiration will strike :D

Associate
OP
cheaper or more expensive....im confused,anyways:D

if u guys can spec me a core i5 system that adds up to 900 pounds i will much appreciate it!;)

all i need is:

CPU
MOBO
GFX card
RAM
PSU
HDD
DVD Drive
CASE

thanks a lot! :D

Associate
I've just completed a new build and looking for a new card to upgrade to, my trusty old 1900XT is now beginning to struggle quite a lot lol, can the 5850 be clocked easily to achieve 5870 performance?

As I understand it both cards are physically identical just different clock setting on the GPU and RAM.

Stu

Permabanned
cheaper or more expensive....im confused,anyways:D

if u guys can spec me a core i5 system that adds up to 900 pounds i will much appreciate it!;)

all i need is:

CPU
MOBO
GFX card
RAM
PSU
HDD
DVD Drive
CASE

thanks a lot! :D

I'll make you up a spec, is there any specific case you'd like included with that?

Permabanned
Here's what I've got, I think this will be a perfect gaming PC.

I know you said Core i5, but this is my suggestion of what to get with a budget of £900.

You'd spend around the same for an i5 set up and it'd be less performance.

Spec.png

Back
Top Bottom