• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Size

Soldato
Years ago I had an antec sonata, mostly because it was one of the first cases with 120mm fans, and designed fantastically for quiet operation, since I started upgrading ending up spending so much time taking stuff out, putting it back in I just got a case that can take a server sized mobo, plenty of clearance, mostly just so its easier to get mobo's with heatsinks already attached into and out of cases, have plenty of free space for hands to move around mobo, play with cables, etc, etc.

Get a huge case, makes messing with your computer sooo much easier, and, anything fits :p

How much longer is a 5870x2 over a single 5870 though? I'd imagine that will push even server cases close to its limits :p

i was thinking the same...i seriously dont think it will fit in cases like the antec 1200..

it looked about 2 inches longer the the 5870 :O!

already asked on here about it n people think it will be fine...but i have my doupts.

Soldato
its a good CM or 2 longer than a 4870X2

i got mine in a Lian Li V351 :D

2442f4b6.jpg

dd989435.jpg

Associate
Bought a new pc today only to find the case I bought doesnt fit the 5870 in. Fail.

Anyone else have this problem, think I will take a saw to the case to make room for it.
if you can live with a little less preformace get 5850 or just go for two 5850 1GBs in crossfire :)
the 5870 is the same size as 4870 X2, GTX 285 and GTX 295
the 5850 is the same size as a 4870

Associate
Cheers faugusztin, looks like I will have space in my new case for 1, a whole 10mm spare :D
I will probably crossfire 2 5850's but just incase I go 5870 it's nice to know it will fit!

Actually, here is a detailed photo at end of the ruler (sorry for flash, but i guess it is still readable) :

p1010037eq.jpg

I would say count with 28cm :D

Soldato
I guess theres no way I'm getting a 5870 in a Antec 300 then.

I'm in the same boat, looking at the getting a 5870 shortly but like a lot of cases, me antec 300 is just too short, BUT, with careful use of a dremel I reckon the appropriate material can be removed properly and might not effect then resale value, some ppl might even consider the modification to be a benefit, afterall, it makes the case the more versatile (for bigger cards) and I reckon you'd only lose the space for one h/d (gonna have to check that one though).:)

Associate
I'm in the same boat, looking at the getting a 5870 shortly but like a lot of cases, me antec 300 is just too short, BUT, with careful use of a dremel I reckon the appropriate material can be removed properly and might not effect then resale value, some ppl might even consider the modification to be a benefit, afterall, it makes the case the more versatile (for bigger cards) and I reckon you'd only lose the space for one h/d (gonna have to check that one though).:)

It is all about marketing, now you can sell your case as an "Antec 300 with custom modification to allow for modern graphics card to fit". Stands out from the crowd of the unmodified ones. :)

Associate
To fit mine into my thermaltake tsunami dream i had to remove the hd cage and move them into the 5.25" bays. Thanks to high capacity hard drives though i doubt i will ever need more then two and removing the hard drive cage has had a beneficial effect on the system as the front intake fan is now completely unobstructed and overall case temps have dropped by three degrees so silver lining and all that :).

Back
Top Bottom