• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Vs "6870" ..

Soldato
Why not? Are you saying that a card that will likely be cheaper, use less power, cooler, but about the same performance or better (All guesses of course!) than the 480gtx will not be wanted?

It will be wanted, but when you have a decent card atm that can pretty much play most games on the highest detail it offers doesn't really make it appealing to switch over to the 6**** series, regardless of whether the boost in performance is greater than your current card considering we haven't had a pretty graphically demanding games since the likes of Crysis or Metro and even then the 5850 and the 5870 can play it pretty well.

The only way i see it being worthwhile, is if you can make the switch without losing much money in the process.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gareth I think medium will certainly be very playable on a 5850/5850, and possibly high, apparently crysis 2 will be a hell of a lot more optimized than crysis was, so expect quad and hex core CPU's to be put to good use.

Soldato
Gareth I think medium will certainly be very playable on a 5850/5850, and possibly high, apparently crysis 2 will be a hell of a lot more optimized than crysis was, so expect quad and hex core CPU's to be put to good use.

You can have all the CPU threading you want but Crysis was demanding because of the amount of polygons and triangles your video card had to draw (not to mention DX10 was still in it’s infancy) and no amount of CPU threading is going to help as CPU’s are hopelessly inefficient at drawing triangles. CPU’s are typically used for AI, path finding, physics, scene wireframe (after which the video card takes over and fills the scene in) etc.

Soldato
i hope they'll optimized it for the hex cpu's

And what do you expect your Hex core to do? The game will be bottlenecked by scenery and explosions all of which needs to be drawn on the video card your CPU won’t be able to help with that no matter how many cores it has (although DX11 is meant to get around this by letting the CPU do some of the work if there is spare capicity but CPU's are great at drawing graphics).

The best thing Crytek can do with Crysis 2 IMO is to make sure the SLI and Crossfire scaling is optimal as in 90%-100% scaling, Crysis 1 your lucky to get 50% scaling on an top end ATI cards and 70% on top end Nvidia cards. You would think a game as demanding as Crysis would be crying out for all the GPU resources your PC can throw at it yet games engine squanders and wastes so much of GPU’s power.

Last edited:
Soldato
i really think crysis 2 on high or even medium setting won't be playable on a 5850/5870

It will be playable with everything on high except tessellation me thinks, another metro-like framerates hog that will cripple any graphics card out there. Apart from that, it will run fine, it's a console port after all :p

Caporegime
No-one is seriously considering moving from a 5850, 5870 to this are they?

It's called the grpahics card shuffle. If and I mean if, these 6 series are going to offer 30% performance boost and be cheaper then selling your 5850/5870 a week or two before and then upgrading can keep costs down.

I have always tried to do this and even got a decent price for my gtx260 when the 5850's came out.

Back
Top Bottom