• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Vs "6870" ..

Soldato
It's called the grpahics card shuffle. If and I mean if, these 6 series are going to offer 30% performance boost and be cheaper then selling your 5850/5870 a week or two before and then upgrading can keep costs down.

I have always tried to do this and even got a decent price for my gtx260 when the 5850's came out.

Especially that we usually know both pricing and performance before the release.

Soldato
I have a deal i am going to do with one for £360 just wondering is it worth doing it or is the 6xxx series going to leave them behind.

Soldato
If you have enough money to be getting products like a 2nd 5970, I would sell and get the next latest and greatest. But that's your decision.

I haven't got a 5970 atm but want to pick one up second hand that was my plan i currently can't game on the card i have as its a spare i keep x1600.

In reality would the new 6870(single card) be faster than a 5970.

Associate
Probably get 'jumped' for saying this but i see very little point in getting a 5970. It doesn't reall give you playable frame rates in Metro 2033 and what other game actually requires all that horse power? and if there is then go sli or crossfire with different cards that gives better performance for a lot less money. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Based on previous gens, it will probably be about the same.

Previous generation have included a shrink in the fabrication process, allowing an increase in transistor density. This is not the case this time around.

If it even gets anywhere near a 5970 then I will be utterly amazed. I'm expecting only a mild improvement. But so far, no-one knows. All we have are some supposed benchmarks showing ~30% improvement over the 5870, and at least one of those has been photoshopped.

Soldato
Probably get 'jumped' for saying this but i see very little point in getting a 5970. It doesn't reall give you playable frame rates in Metro 2033 and what other game actually requires all that horse power? and if there is then go sli or crossfire with different cards that gives better performance for a lot less money. :rolleyes:

Not really sure what i could get for £350 that would give that performance it would beat a 480gtx for the same sort of price and beats 2x460 gtx's in sli anything beyond that would cost more to set up.

Made sense for me to get a second hand 5970 and later down the line add another if required when there prices drop but i guess one of those will last a while.

Soldato
5970 = crossfire but just on 1 card. which takes up less room.

Soldato
Previous generation have included a shrink in the fabrication process, allowing an increase in transistor density. This is not the case this time around.

If it even gets anywhere near a 5970 then I will be utterly amazed. I'm expecting only a mild improvement. But so far, no-one knows. All we have are some supposed benchmarks showing ~30% improvement over the 5870, and at least one of those has been photoshopped.

Ah right do you mean a die shrink? Going to be disappointed if it's not much of an improvement over an oc'd 5870 to be honest.

Soldato
how about ATI sit down and actually make some good crossfire friendly drivers, that actually give us decent scaling..? to be honest if developers took more time and care, and paid more attention to what they are doing you wouldn't need half the graphics power modern PCs have...:( not gonna happen though.

Soldato
how about ATI sit down and actually make some good crossfire friendly drivers, that actually give us decent scaling..? to be honest if developers took more time and care, and paid more attention to what they are doing you wouldn't need half the graphics power modern PCs have...:( not gonna happen though.

I think the problem for ATI has been market share, developers are willing to spend more time making the game ready for SLI over Crossfire simply because there are more Nvidia cards on the market then ATI ones. That situation has changed and ATI/AMD are the market leaders so we should start to see better optimised games for Radeon video cards. And to be fair scaling on the mid range products is very good, the 5770 and 5750 scale just as the 460.

Soldato
A little birdie has told me that the 1600mhz memory speed in GDDR5 that has a running speed of 6.4ghz is unfortunately not possible for a stock unit on the standards of memory available now or in the next 6months so those face screenie of "stock" cards with memory running at such speeds is near definitely all hot air. I expect a die shrink and a slight re-jig of the architecture... a bit like how the 8800GTS 512mb G92 ended up 15% faster on the clocks on an GTS250 all because of shrinks and re-thinks that came with it.

The 6870 as such will probably just be what the 4890 was to the 4870 but with a die shrink thrown in for good measure too.

Either way it should be 480 speeds or a smidge quicker out of the box for what will probably be a 10% price reduction on retail 480 too.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom