• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Vs "6870" ..

Soldato
I expect a die shrink and a slight re-jig of the architecture... a bit like how the 8800GTS 512mb G92 ended up 15% faster on the clocks on an GTS250 all because of shrinks and re-thinks that came with it.

There certainly won't be a die shrink (assuming you mean a reduction in the manufacturing process?). The chips will be manufactured on 40nm, as that is all that is available right now from TSMC. The reduction to 32nm at TSMC was cancelled in favour of a 28nm process which will come into play next year.

Associate
A little birdie has told me that the 1600mhz memory speed in GDDR5 that has a running speed of 6.4ghz is unfortunately not possible for a stock unit on the standards of memory available now or in the next 6months so those face screenie of "stock" cards with memory running at such speeds is near definitely all hot air.

I read somewhere (and can't find it now), I think it was over at Beyond3d that hynix or samsung started mass producing some 7 ghz chips months ago and that AMD may be an exclusive partner for the chips soaking up all inventory, wasn't it AMD ATi that partnered in its development in the first place and why they were first on the market with GDDR5 parts?

J.

Soldato
I have a 5830, and I'm planning on getting another for xfire, but I'd recommend to anyone to avoid and get SLI 460s instead if they can. :p

It would mean me changing my CPU, Motherboard, RAM and graphics cards to go to my ideal setup, and I can't be bothered, so I'm going to try xfire 5830s anyway just because I facy trying it for myself, but I've had enough issues with ATI drivers so far to put me off on my next build.

Next time round will probably be something Intelified with DDR4 RAM and two nVidia cards.

Nvidia drivers are awful at the minute, and they haven't bothered to release an update to even attempt to correct the issues for 2 months.

If anybody tries telling me Nvidia are better than ATI again when it come to drivers I am going to ring the funny farm to get them locked up.

Associate
Nvidia drivers are awful at the minute, and they haven't bothered to release an update to even attempt to correct the issues for 2 months.

If anybody tries telling me Nvidia are better than ATI again when it come to drivers I am going to ring the funny farm to get them locked up.

Whats wrong with nvidia drivers atm? this is the problem, people oftern say there are issues but give no details at all what exactly their talking about.

Soldato
I read somewhere (and can't find it now), I think it was over at Beyond3d that hynix or samsung started mass producing some 7 ghz chips months ago and that AMD may be an exclusive partner for the chips soaking up all inventory, wasn't it AMD ATi that partnered in its development in the first place and why they were first on the market with GDDR5 parts?

J.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory...sung_Begins_to_Produce_7GHz_GDDR5_Memory.html

Started production in February 2009...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20100623231141_Elpida_Develops_7GHz_2Gb_GDDR5_Chip.html

Mass production.

Man of Honour

What issues? all the latest sets have worked flawlessly for me, a small number of people have issues with BC2 and some DX7 games but the fix is confirmed working in next driver set.

Soldato
I seriously doubt the 6870 will be faster than a 5970.

Unless they use the full 300 watt TDP PCI-E spec which I doubt they will do for a single card.

What will be interesting is the release of a dual chip card (presumably a HD6970), the HD5970 is virtually using all of thermal envelope allowed by the PCI-E spec (IIR 297 watts TDP for the HD5970 and the spec is 300 watts) so any 6970 or dual chip card will have to use the same power spec as it’s predecessor which will give us a good idea on what sort of efficiencies AMD has made with there new hybrid architecture.

Permabanned
well tbh its all released very soon

I have £200 saved for a 6970... and if i sell my 5970 i will have anouther £350 :p
lets just hope they arent £550 or £600 as i need to buy a waterblock aswell!

Back
Top Bottom