5950X + 3090 PSU Question

Associate
Hi OcUK,

I have a 5950X, and a RTX 3090 coming this week and I currently have a Seasonic Prime TX-850 PSU which I thought would be enough, but after looking at some reddit threads and a general Google I've seen certain threads where the PSU tripped due to overcurrent protection, people suggesting more etc. But I've seen builds on YouTube and other sites using 850W PSUs.

My question is do you think my PSU I have is enough, or should I look at getting higher wattage? Any feedback welcome.

Soldato
Hi OcUK,

I have a 5950X, and a RTX 3090 coming this week and I currently have a Seasonic Prime TX-850 PSU which I thought would be enough, but after looking at some reddit threads and a general Google I've seen certain threads where the PSU tripped due to overcurrent protection, people suggesting more etc. But I've seen builds on YouTube and other sites using 850W PSUs.

My question is do you think my PSU I have is enough, or should I look at getting higher wattage? Any feedback welcome.
Seasonic Prime TX-850 PSU will be more than enough for your build

Associate
OP
Seasonic Prime TX-850 PSU will be more than enough for your build

Thanks a lot for your reply. After reading that 850W PSUs were having their over current protection tripped (10900k threads also, not my CPU I know but for reference) I was concerned that my PSU won't have enough wattage, especially with everything else: 6/7 fans, SSDs etc.

Don't get me wrong I am happy to buy higher, but seems there's a shortage of PSUs, especially at the 1000W range at the moment.

Associate
I've seen a small handful of cases where 850W wasn't enough but that was when using the RTX 3090 as a GPU render. Using your setup for gaming should probably work fine. That being said, I get the impression that the quality of the PSU is equally as important as the wattage.

What you could do is to start off with your 850W PSU and then run a few stresstests to see if it's stable. The worst that can happen is that the PC restarts if the PSU can't cope with sudden/huge fluctuations in demand and it won't fry your components if that's what you're worried about.

Soldato
I'm using a Corsair HX1200i with a RTX3090 and 5950x, both overclocked - been running sweet. For my own system, I'd not use 850w, 850w is at the cusp, it may work or you may have issues depending how well the PSU handles transient loads above rated spec - just on paper, if I run max overclock on both the CPU and GPU I'm looking at 480w from GPU and 270w from CPU. thats 750w constant load before considering other components and before the 3090 has own of its infamous transient spikes

Back
Top Bottom