• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950X £960? Nah mate

Associate
Any reason for this... I had a day 1 pre order for a while and gave up after months when I got a 5600x for MSRP... Thought to myself I'll get one when things calm down a little... I am not paying that though, that's £200 above the price I ordered at and my brother bought for.

No thanks. I guess OCUK got shafted by the distros again.

Caporegime
Any reason for this... I had a day 1 pre order for a while and gave up after months when I got a 5600x for MSRP... Thought to myself I'll get one when things calm down a little... I am not paying that though, that's £200 above the price I ordered at and my brother bought for.

No thanks. I guess OCUK got shafted by the distros again.

Wait a bit more, stock is gradually improving.

Associate
Glad I'm not the only one, but I really want to know why this is.

I've been waiting for months, now I feel like I may as well have bought one from Scalper instead. That's what, a ~28% markup over the original RRP? I get it, supply and demand, but even then...

Associate
Strange, given the 5600x is only a little above MSRP, but the 5950x is priced up above the heavens comparatively.

I usually don't consider buying these flagship parts anyway, the cores are wasted on gaming, would rather go threadripper if I'm core starved due to productivity.

Soldato
Strange, given the 5600x is only a little above MSRP, but the 5950x is priced up above the heavens comparatively.

I usually don't consider buying these flagship parts anyway, the cores are wasted on gaming, would rather go threadripper if I'm core starved due to productivity.

The Ryzen 5 5600X RRP made it one of the most expensive per core. The Ryzen 7 5800X streetprice has had it go down to as low as £350,and at launch the Ryzen 7 5900X was actually a better deal than a Ryzen 5 5600X(twice the cores but for less than twice the price).

So at this point I really don't think a Ryzen 5 5600X is worth £300 - its better to wait for a Ryzen 7 5800X deal IMHO,if you are spending that much on a CPU! The cheaper 6C CPUs such as the Core i5 11400F/Core i5 10400F/Ryzen 5 3600 are half the price but certainly not half the performance!

Associate
Are the prices ever going to go down on any prodcut which has been hiked up, because people are paying it which realistically means why would they ever lower it?

Soldato
Are the prices ever going to go down on any prodcut which has been hiked up, because people are paying it which realistically means why would they ever lower it?

Or they don't really sell that many of these parts worldwide,but the impression is they do because they keep selling out? It would surprise me if for the most part Zen2 and Zen+ together still outsell Zen3. After all just look at many AMD powered prebuilt desktops and laptops,they are mostly a mixture of Zen+ and Zen2 based parts in most markets.

Associate
Bought one from a major High St retailer beginning with C for £749, but decided to stick with Intel so sold it. £960 is brutal.

Man of Honour
This really is the silly season price wise, for CPU's and GPU's, high end especially.

Personally I'm waiting it out and hoping my GPU doesn't conk out on me.
Agree on high end but midrange CPUs seem fine, plenty of stock and OK prices. £170 for Ryzen 3600, sometimes goes cheaper, £150 for Intel 11400F

Soldato
It's been available for a non-scalped price within the past week, albeit only for around ten minutes since they were all snapped up pretty quickly. The fact that drops are happening at all suggests the supply issues might be easing a little. You do wonder whether the rumoured Zen 3+ will be here by the time they're freely available though...

Associate
It's been available for a non-scalped price within the past week, albeit only for around ten minutes since they were all snapped up pretty quickly. The fact that drops are happening at all suggests the supply issues might be easing a little. You do wonder whether the rumoured Zen 3+ will be here by the time they're freely available though...

I am assuming the quoted price was from OC? Not sure they are "scalpers" but to be fair basic economics says price is a supply vs demand curve.

Associate
Its a brutal price, but if it sells it is the correct price.

The problem is, if they sell cheaper then some wiseguys will just snap them up and relist them on ebay for a £200 profit. If they don't sell then they'll drop the price. For me I design FPGA's (chip design) I won't get much benefit from threadripper as I need a few cores running at max Mhz so 5900x/5950x is the best choice and bare min 64gb ram, will go for 128gb to be sure.

I might drop a order over the weekend, going to have to read the tea-leaves :)

God knows whats happening with GPU's though, hoping my current one stays working....

Associate
Its a brutal price, but if it sells it is the correct price.

The problem is, if they sell cheaper then some wiseguys will just snap them up and relist them on ebay for a £200 profit. If they don't sell then they'll drop the price. For me I design FPGA's (chip design) I won't get much benefit from threadripper as I need a few cores running at max Mhz so 5900x/5950x is the best choice and bare min 64gb ram, will go for 128gb to be sure.

I might drop a order over the weekend, going to have to read the tea-leaves :)

God knows whats happening with GPU's though, hoping my current one stays working....

Indeed - I auctioned a low end 3080 GFX card I bought from Germany while awaiting my OC preorder after it arrived and got double what I paid for it.

Associate
Or they don't really sell that many of these parts worldwide,but the impression is they do because they keep selling out? It would surprise me if for the most part Zen2 and Zen+ together still outsell Zen3. After all just look at many AMD powered prebuilt desktops and laptops,they are mostly a mixture of Zen+ and Zen2 based parts in most markets.

The 5600x may be expensive per core, but it's probably the best value for money of all the AMD 5x line other than maybe the 5800x, most people who are gaming just don't need the additional cores.

In any case that wasn't my point, I'm just confused as to why there is such a deviance from MSRP for the 59xx chips. It's not like they can be used for mining, they're also not fantastic value for money. As you say, even content creators will see fantastic performance out of the 5800x, so I can't see where the pricing is coming from.

Associate
The 5600x may be expensive per core, but it's probably the best value for money of all the AMD 5x line other than maybe the 5800x, most people who are gaming just don't need the additional cores.

In any case that wasn't my point, I'm just confused as to why there is such a deviance from MSRP for the 59xx chips. It's not like they can be used for mining, they're also not fantastic value for money. As you say, even content creators will see fantastic performance out of the 5800x, so I can't see where the pricing is coming from.

Greed.

Associate

Well if it's greed, I hope it's not the enthusiast community in general to blame. We seriously need to pull our heads out of our collective posteriors and start smelling the truth.
I'm getting concerned atm that the hate directed externally over GPU's and CPU's might not be entirely warranted.

Admittedly it could still be scalpers, but I expect them the get thrown under the bus soon, AMD has shown far more aptitude to stock the 5xxx CPUs than their GPU lines.

Back
Top Bottom