1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5m DisplayPort cable @ 1440p 144hz

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Oscar Yankee, 18 May 2019.

1. Oscar Yankee

Associate

Hello

I'm looking for a DisplayPort cable that can support a monitor with 1440p @ 144hz. I saw on another forum that you need at least DisplayPort 1.2. The monitor I'm planning to buy has a DisplayPort 1.2 port on the back.
    I don't know if it's possible to transfer this much data over 5m.
    Would I need an active cable for this distance, would a passive be enough?

I hope that somebody can help me with this problem.

Btw.
    I don't know if I posted this problem in the right category. I thought that this was the most suiting.

2. Panos

Perma Banned

What you need is Club3D CAC-1061. Is 5 metres, DP1.4/Hbr3 Cable and supports 8K 60Hz.
    I have it's 4m variant and yes supports Freesync also because is DP1.4

3. Oscar Yankee

Associate

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to use a DisplayPort 1.4 Cable in a DisplayPort 1.2 monitor? If so I will look in to the cable you mentioned.
    Again thanks for the reply :)

4. Panos

Perma Banned

Of course I use it on the XL2730Z and is the only cable that resolved a flickering issue I had with Freesync, with rated 1.2a DP cables.

5. Oscar Yankee

Associate

Thanks for the help. It's a bit more money than I normally pay for a cable but if that's what's needed I have to pay that money.

6. Panos

Perma Banned

You wanted 5m. The shorter ones are cheaper.

7. subbytna

Sgarrista

£45 for a cable! yeeks

8. Quartz

Capodecina

5 metres can be iffy for Displayport. With my 4K displays I had to go fibre-optic. A snip at £142 (plus import duty) apiece. I got the 10m cables which enabled me to put my PC well out of the way.

9. Oscar Yankee

Associate

10. Panos

Perma Banned

Depends the cable my friend. Cheap crap works but not properly these days, especially when you need DP1.4 HBR3 rated ones.

11. Oscar Yankee

Associate

*Update*

Just ordered the Club3D CAC-1061 cable from amazon.de. Most expensive cable I have ever bought. Hope that it works :)

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

This is the problem at longer lengths with Displayport (or HDMI) and higher resolutions/refresh :( cheaper cables are very hit and miss and what might work for one person might completely fail to get a stable picture for another, etc. and even the more expensive ones are no guarantee but a bit better chance. As I've mentioned before I think I had to go through around a dozen cables to get 120Hz stable at any distance from my laptop and the one that actually works I bought another of and the second one isn't stable (for that use - works fine in other scenarios) despite seemingly identical aside from being very slightly longer (probably less than 1cm difference).

13. Aretak

Wise Guy

I have the 4m version of the Club 3D cable and it works perfectly. The one I was using before was causing some intermittent flickering at 1440p/144Hz, but I haven't seen this miss a beat over the past couple of months with a few different graphics cards. They're pretty thick though (thicker than my H1000i's power cable), so a little difficult to route.