Poll: 6÷2(1+2)

6/2(1+2) = ?

Votes: 516 68.9%

Votes: 233 31.1%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Reading BetaNumeric's post above has reminded me of something that frequently used in layman biology conversations. Most people when discussing evolution instantly think of the phrase 'survival of the fittest' as a description of that process when actually, it's an utterly meaningless phrase that doesn't make sense at any sort of 'high' level.

For the third time in this thread, damn you divide sign :p

However, it seems that I was wrong in that you don't necessarily always multiply before you divide (was taught differently at school), so at least I have learned something.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The maths of university level has a very different structure and feel to it than stuff at school, it isn't just lots of adding and dividing of big numbers (amazingly some people think that's what it is). All the time new notation and expressions are introduced to you and some of them are completely unlike anything seen before. Like I said when I first started replying to this thread, I haven't used the ÷ sign since school, possibly even primary school. That shows that this sort of question is not aimed at highly mathematical people but is more "Here's an expression you'd expect to see in an 8 year olds book, what does it mean?". The answer? "Ask the 8 year old", not "Ask a ring theorist".

Well yes quite, the question is a deliberate troll and deliberately confusing. No one really uses ÷ outside of primary school. We do however still have a standard way for using ÷. Just because most people don't tend to use it since they were 8 years old doesn't mean there isn't a convention for using it.

Just as you've pointed out in a previous post

Sinx² means Sin(x²) and not (Sinx)(Sinx)

That is an arbitrary standard that people follow by convention - it isn't something that has been arrived at by first principles rather its just how we notate. Some people rubbishing the idea that there is a standard way to use ÷ by stating its primary school maths and that anyone arguing for this is clearly lacking in education perhaps forget that they also use rather arbitrary standards in higher level maths too and the the original question is in fact at the level of primary school maths. Its known that ÷ has potential to confuse which is why virtually no one uses it outside of school.

All I've been trying to point out is that in fact we do have a convention for dealing with ÷ and technically that does result in an answer if followed. I'm not saying the question isn't a troll or isn't confusing but we still have a convention for that operator and it isn't and more or less valid than any other arbitrary conventions that people use every day at a higher level.

Soldato
Well yes quite, the question is a deliberate troll and deliberately confusing. No one really uses ÷ outside of primary school. We do however still have a standard way for using ÷. Just because most people don't tend to use it since they were 8 years old doesn't mean there isn't a convention for using it.

Just as you've pointed out in a previous post

Sinx² means Sin(x²) and not (Sinx)(Sinx)

That is an arbitrary standard that people follow by convention - it isn't something that has been arrived at by first principles rather its just how we notate. Some people rubbishing the idea that there is a standard way to use ÷ by stating its primary school maths and that anyone arguing for this is clearly lacking in education perhaps forget that they also use rather arbitrary standards in higher level maths too and the the original question is in fact at the level of primary school maths. Its known that ÷ has potential to confuse which is why virtually no one uses it outside of school.

All I've been trying to point out is that in fact we do have a convention for dealing with ÷ and technically that does result in an answer if followed. I'm not saying the question isn't a troll or isn't confusing but we still have a convention for that operator and it isn't and more or less valid than any other arbitrary conventions that people use every day at a higher level.

And the winner of the Troll Feeder 2011 award goes to Dowie, with his 82nd post in a thread about nothing what so ever :)

Soldato
I learned something as well, which is that Reverse Polish notation (which I studied at Uni some 21 years ago) does actually have some uses.

Soldato
Well apparently Facebook has also provided gigantic arguments over the order of the ham and cheese in a sandwich and whether you put the cream cheese on the smooth or rough side of a cracker...

Caporegime
Reading BetaNumeric's post above has reminded me of something that frequently used in layman biology conversations. Most people when discussing evolution instantly think of the phrase 'survival of the fittest' as a description of that process when actually, it's an utterly meaningless phrase that doesn't make sense at any sort of 'high' level.

For the third time in this thread, damn you divide sign :p

However, it seems that I was wrong in that you don't necessarily always multiply before you divide (was taught differently at school), so at least I have learned something.

It also annoys me when people say "survival of the fittest", and I come from a A.I. background. What is worse is that people attribute this to Darwin, who said nothing of the sort. Spencer coined the phrase.

Associate

Here's another video since people like them so much. ( fuel to the fire! )

wow look i said this many a page ago, go me

summation;

done A level maths or less?: BOGMAS! ITS 9 GOD DAMNIT!!

done degree level maths?: ambiguous, none take precedence, this would never be written for me!!

I think this thread has come to a conclusion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
multiplication before division I was always taught, plus right before left.

In this case, most definately 6 / 2 x 3 (i.e. 6) = 6/6 = 1

Did your teacher look like this, by any chance?

Trollface.jpg

Back
Top Bottom