1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 bit graphics?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by NightmareXX, 22 May 2006.

1. NightmareXX

Wise Guy

According to someone I was talking to on MSN, ATI cards 'lack' a set of certain instructions in their core for running 64-bit games efficiently. Just as it happens, nVidia DO have these instructions.

Anyone know anything about this?

2. FrankJH

Capodecina

I dont honestly know - but are there ANY 64 bit games around ??

Are there likely to be?

I am only asking , the above arent meant to be arguementative, but I dont know of that many games that would utilise them even if they were present. ( and you had the X64 version of windows installed of course)

dual core support is slowly getting better - I wouldnt expect much interest from developers for this until Vista?

Anyone have any other comments?

3. cuke2u

Mobster

Hi, as far as I know, Farcry has an update for running on XP64 as does HF2. However this is the first I've heard about a diff between ATI, NV & 64-bit games and I've played them both, sure it's not a NV troll attempt?
    ChrisC

4. Goksly

Capodecina

erm... the 64bit etc is all to do with the cpu - shhhhhhhhhhhurely?

5. Cozman

Hitman

Hi

as far as im aware its the cpu and OS that is 64bit ... the gpu isnt and only the drivers that run it need to be 64bit ... i have two 64bit rigs one NV6800GT and one ATIx1800XT and although not a fair comparison i dont see any probs with ATI card on x64 benchies appear to be on par with 32bit but of course im open to be proved wrong

6. FrankJH

Capodecina

but from a technology point of view why cant gpu's be 64 bit? As OS's and CPU's are going /have gone that way, and PCI (and I guess e) are regarded as 32 bit slots ( with PCI - x on servers being 64 bit)

Seems a logical progression one day

7. oweneades

Sgarrista

The actual GPUS themselves are 256bit arn't they?!

The yhave been since the Geforce 256 days?!

8. Zefan

Don

It's nothing to do with 64 bit "Graphics", it's to do with the cpu shifting textures around. Also, our pc's have MANY MANY bit structures through them - GPU's are 256 to graphics RAM IIRC.

9. FrankJH

Capodecina

I am right in thinking that the PCI-E slot is still only 32-bit though?

Please be kind its My birthday for the next hour or so lol

10. Zefan

Don

No the slots are 64 bit, so really the graphics cards can talk to the cpu and RAM without bottlenecking. I don't think there's really any point to it all though.

Happy Birthday :D

11. NightmareXX

Wise Guy

Well this guy seemed to know a lot but got a lil quieter when I pointed out that on both the nVidia and ATI site, they both advertise 64-bit HDR and textures and such on their top cards (7900GTX and X1900)

12. str

Mobster

Imagine how crazy it would be if people read that and word got around it was true when in fact it's absolute nonsense. :)

13. NightmareXX

Wise Guy

Yea they were my thoughts exactly when he mentioned it to me. He was offering my mate a 7900GTX for £240 :confused:

14. lay-z-boy

Sgarrista

he is talking out of his ***, sounds like a fanboi to me.....

15. Zefan

Don

It's not actually anything to do with the 3d cards... you can run 64bit textures on a 9800pro or whatever. It's the difference where the cpu comes in to shift textures around that matters. I have no idea why they're boasting on their site about it as all cards will support it.

16. FrankJH

Capodecina

ok completely shuts up now - but thank you zefan for the best wishes

17. str

Mobster

I'm having a hard time making sense of the above. Can you elaborate? :)

Also here is a quote from Carmack explaining why 64-bit precision is a good thing:

18. Zefan

Don

3D cards have been able to process 64 bit textures for a long time, it's nothing new. CPU's however have not - this is the real issue and where the difference between running 32 bit and 64 bit textures lies.

19. str

Mobster

OK. :)

20. HangTime

Man of Honour

If we do get 64bit 3d accelerators, it will be interesting to see what kind of performance it gives (and difference in visual quality of course).

Thinking back to when Nvidia were pushing 32bit colour (TNT), performance was pretty poor so often you were better off running 16bit anyway - it wasn't until the Geforce (or possibly TNT2u) that 32bit became feasible in high resolution for modern games.