64bit

Associate
hey everyone, just wondered how people are getting on with the windows xp 64bit os?

ive had an amd x2 for sometime and have always used the 32bit version of xp. are there any real advantages or problems of using 64bt? whats the performance and compatabilty like?

Soldato
Its getting there.

Many many posts already asking the same question, so Iwont give the same answers.

Basically 98% of apps run fine on it. and all good hardware runs on it, if not, then its time to swap your hardware.

A simple answer for you to chew on is this:-

If you have to ask whether XP64 is any good for you, then you can bet your life, that its not.

Soldato
I found that 100% of my games have gone on perfectly fine and run pretty much the same.

FarCry and HL2 both have upgrades to 64bit and to be honest, they dont really play any better, however, FarCry looks like its doing more in the detail side of things.

HL2 felt a bit slower to be honest, and yet the last system I tried it with, it was faster, so it may be pot-luck maybe?

Permabanned
to be honest, id go with "better the devil you know" and stick with 32bit XP, if you want 64bit OS then wait until vista is out and has service pack 1, getting it immediatly would not be a good idea with microsofts track record on first launched OS security. with the first launch of windows XP you could type in ANYONES ip address and if they were not running a firewall or router... up pops there hard drive contents :D

p.s. 2000 POSTS!! :D

Soldato
I gave up on x64 due to the lack of driver support for my peripherals. I also became increasingly annoyed with the os checks on installers for games and bugs such as the crashing when firing orbs in the 64 bit version of HL2.

Soldato
Nahema said:
I gave up on x64 due to the lack of driver support for my peripherals. I also became increasingly annoyed with the os checks on installers for games and bugs such as the crashing when firing orbs in the 64 bit version of HL2.

Explain?

Firing orbs?

As in the levels near the end where you can use the grav gun to grab the things and shoot the combine with them?

I didnt get that far with my X64 install... I basically just ran *** first few levels and I found it to be fine.

OS Checks on installers.. Yeah, I have seen that a few times... This Program needs XP to run and so on... It did get a bit iffy, but for me, the stuff that didnt run, was also stuff that I didnt care about, I was just looking if it was going to play ball.

Associate
Hi

Running two rigs on x64 here so guess i can say its good enough & stable enough for most general use with the only real issues being some hardware drivers being hard to find or non-existant & some copy protection stuff like starforce being unsupported which isnt a bad thing from what ive heard. Gaming isnt super express faster than XP32 but most things install and run without problems , some give a slight performance boost and some are slightly slower on x64. Might be my imagination or might be actually true but i believe disk intensive games (large maps & data) gets a boost with load times reduced (Farcry & FS2004 as examples) and most things benefit from a more responsive OS. The only real problems are some hardware (printers , control cards & modems) have no 64bit drivers & there is currently no good 64bit software firewalls (except for nvidia if you have nforce4 m/b which seems to work ok). If confident enough to dual boot x64 & XP32 and you have enough disk space then there should be no harm in trying it for yourself ( i believe a free time limited trial is still available) and see what you think.

just IMO peeps so dont shoot me if you disagree :p

Coz

Associate
Hey there, im using 64bit windows at the moment, and ive had no problems with drivers, it was only last november i had to be very careful becuase there was a large lack in drivers for my printer.

64bit drivers are very common now for internal hardware components, however peripherals is what lacks at the moment, probably becuase they are considered a luxury? I dunno.

A friend just bought a logitech webcam from somewhere and there are no webcam drivers AT ALL for logitech ones, however creative have a comprehensive list.

Logitech do, however have drivers available for My mouse and keyboard, and surprisingly enough, these were all out of the box.

Another thing that i have had to do, is if i was interested in a hardware component, i would have to email the manufacturers in some situations to get information (eg. Imon Remotes).

There are some really good forums and sites dedicated to 64bit windows which i have got a lot of help from in the past about driver issues, have a google.

The only games that i have not been able to get working so far is Homeworld 2 and RA2. Everything else works perfectly.

Associate
Yeah blato roll on vista.

Ive never had any problems with firefox, im on their bon echo alpha at the mo and thats never crashed.

Its not very good tho.

Soldato
Didnt think about FireFox TBH. Not tried it through x64 and I am annoyed with that because FF is now my main Browser, and for me, a staunch IE supporter until only recently, this could be a big deal

I suppose given that there are a 32 and a 64 bit version of IE, I cannot be all that surprised really!

I am going to have a play later with FF in x64 ( My main PC is XP32 )

Soldato
Joe42 said:
Thats the reason i'm still on XP32. HP don't do 64 bit drivers for any of their printers, and its no use to me if i can't print from it.

They do Server 2003 drivers though, and if you have access to a S2003 CD you can get the required files from that. It works pretty well as a bodge.

Back
Top Bottom