• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6600 GT 256MB AGP or ATI equivalent ???

Associate
Hello all.

I'm looking to buy a new graphics card. Currently running a Geforce FX 5600 256MB card but have had this for 2 and a half years now and am looking to upgrade to something better. My budget isn't huge, so it's important to me that i'm confident with my purchase. I've got a max of £125 to spend.

I'm currently looking at the Geforce 6600 GT 256MB AGP card.

OcUK GeForce 6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-036-OK) Price: £99.95 (£117.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

First question....

If a card has 2 DVI outputs is it still possible to run an old CRT monitor using a DVI-to-VGA adaptor?

Second question....

Is this the best AGP card I can get for the money? If not, any further suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
I suppose to ATI X700 Pro 256MB is the nearest price wise.

Sapphire ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-104-SP) Price: £102.95 (£120.97 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Associate
OP
I think i'll stick with the 6600 GT.

Another question....

Would there be much difference between the OcUK 6600 GT & the XFX branded one? i.e. Is it worth the extra £20?

Soldato
sixarm said:
I think i'll stick with the 6600 GT.

Another question....

Would there be much difference between the OcUK 6600 GT & the XFX branded one? i.e. Is it worth the extra £20?

The extra 100MHZ speed on the RAM will make the XFX card a bit quicker, but personally i would save the money & go for the OcUK card. In game use you shouldnt notice the difference.

Soldato
JonD said:
Why not? More memory the better yeh?

i'm no expert on the matter and have personal experience either..... :p but i'd say the 6600gt simply is not powerful enough to make use of the extra memory available to it. extra video memory is used when texture details in games are set to very high and aa/af is used, but this card simply isn't capable of running newer games with these sort of settings.... (i think :D)

i'm seriously contemplating getting a 6600gt for myself and if i do get one i'll definitely be getting the 128mb version. :)

Soldato
if you search around u can find that nifty asus 6800 standard which is faster than a 6600GT @ stock, and it has a great overclocking potential, plus a lot of people have sucess unlocking the extra pipes+vertex shader

Associate
OP
Sorry, it would appear that it only comes in a 128MB version. Been reading a few reviews and everyone is saying basically what peetee said. At stock it will beat the 6600GT and if overclocked it can almost match a 6800GT. I think i'm gonna go for this Asus beast.

Back
Top Bottom