• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800XT/6900XT - AMD Only, Tier 1 Card Chat - PCB/Clocks/Powerlimit/Benches

Associate
Is anyone getting 3ghz out of the 6x00 cards yet?
AMD seem to be a bit conservative with the max wattage compared to Nvidia, the max on the Asus Strix 3080 is 400w when the FE is 320w so they seem to give the AIBs more freedom to push them to the max.

The Strix RX 6800 XT which is watercooled still seems hobbled by the AMD power limit at about 350w in the Hardware Unboxed review. My own watercooled Sapphire Nitro+ usually runs at around 2740 at 328w so I am sure it would boost further if allowed more juice.

Soldato
AMD seem to be a bit conservative with the max wattage compared to Nvidia, the max on the Asus Strix 3080 is 400w when the FE is 320w so they seem to give the AIBs more freedom to push them to the max.

The Strix RX 6800 XT which is watercooled still seems hobbled by the AMD power limit at about 350w in the Hardware Unboxed review. My own watercooled Sapphire Nitro+ usually runs at around 2740 at 328w so I am sure it would boost further if allowed more juice.

Wonder why they are holding back? Seems like an opportunity to win some points in the raster area.

Soldato
@LtMatt @Scougar looks like we got a) an answer on the 6900xt clock limit and b) what the red devil 6900xt ultimate edition can do:

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhP46XWMkdY&ab_channel=der8auer

https://videocardz.com/newz/der8aue...n-powercolor-rx-6900-xt-liquid-devil-ultimate

all credit Der8auer, give him a youtube hit.

Much appreciated on the tag :)

I feel like a jerk when I say, "I expected more under Liquid Nitrogen."

I'll take a look at the results tonight, as I'm very interested in what it achieves at these clocks. Does frequency make that much difference to results, or are we already maxing out some other architectural perf limit at these clocks etc.

Soldato
Much appreciated on the tag :)

I feel like a jerk when I say, "I expected more under Liquid Nitrogen."

I'll take a look at the results tonight, as I'm very interested in what it achieves at these clocks. Does frequency make that much difference to results, or are we already maxing out some other architectural perf limit at these clocks etc.

I don't think derbauer posted any benchmark results. And I checked 3D Mark HOF, there is no 6900xt over 2900mhz listed.

Funny thing, Derbauer got so many BSOD achieving this that it's completely corrupted his SSD and all files on it are un-accesible

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Sapphire Toxic Extreme Edition has been announced today, the stock boost clock is 2730mhz :D

It does look like that AMD are shipping these specially binned 6900XT chips as a separate SKUs to the board partners.

Caporegime
The Sapphire Toxic Extreme Edition has been announced today, the stock boost clock is 2730mhz :D

It does look like that AMD are shipping these specially binned 6900XT chips as a separate SKUs to the board partners.
Yep saw that, these 6900 XTs will no doubt be the fastest RDNA2 GPUs available.

Shame in the current market they will be crazy prices.

Soldato

It seems they are actually separate silicon, rather than just been a binned 6900xt, it seems to be better silicon.

If these new top of the range 6900xt chips were just binned, they would just be hitting the same clocks as the highest clocks people have already achieved on LN2, which is 2700 to 2900. Going 300mhz over that wouldn't be possible with just a binned chip because out of everything to runs 3dmark, all reviewers, all overclockers and none of them got anywhere close to that speed. For it to be hitting 3200mhz, it means it's fundamentally a different chip - maybe the same architecture, but something in the production process has matured and now they're able to create better silicon from it (at a higher cost no doubt)

We also know this to be true because of the chip codenames. The regular 6900xt have a chip code name of Navi21XTX, while these new ones have a code name of Navi21XTXH

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Red Devil Toxic and Liquid Devil Ultimates are all in stock at OCUK....at a price that makes baby jesus cry.

Soldato
Associate
Soldato
It is probably being discussed elsewhere but here it is, a 3.3GHZ 6900XT using a Tier 1 card:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-rad...21-mhz-breaks-3dmark-fire-strike-world-record

The Liquid Devil Ultimate is still in stock on OCUK if anyone has deep enough pockets to take one for the team.

Unfortunately while the clock is awesome the benchmark was not a valid result as some website seemed to report that they had a new Firestrike world record but they made a bunch of driver level settings to minimise gpu load which resulted in a fail to validate benchmark

Soldato
from what i read that was on Liquid Nitrogen stock fans 1824 around that and that alone is insane

Of course it's LN2, usually very easy to tell when LN2 is involved because of the temps displayed in software. So if you look at the benchmark screenshot it says the gpu is running at 65000 degrees Celsius. That's because when the temps go under 0c the software (and probably the temp sensors on the gpu) gets confused. This is why you'll see when people use LN2 they never used temps in Windows, they use a physical thermometer designed for ultra low temps in the pot

Back
Top Bottom