1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6th book in the Hitch hikers Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Abraxaz1, 8 Oct 2009.

1. Abraxaz1

Wise Guy

As above states apparently old Mr Adams who was previously fought to be dead for tax reason's is releasing a new book to finish of the series once and for good.
    I am for once actually looking forward to the release of a book and hope beyond believe, that it won't be the usual generic garbage that seems to be released these days.
    I was wondering do you guy's reckon the book will carry on the sober approach of the 5th book or will Colfer shift back to a generally witty sarcastic approach similar to that of the previous books?

Any bets on whether he will screw this up?

any way cant wait :D

2. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

I am apprehensive.

3. Hellsmk2

Mobster

Six books in a trilogy?

4. Abraxaz1

Wise Guy

well the 4th was supposed ot be the end of the trilogy, but then he decide arthur had to die like was predicted in the 4th book or was it 3rd???
    Anyways in all good storys the hero (arthur) dies plus their is a huge gap between book 3 and 4 that is completely empty of any explaining in either book 3 or 4.
    So up book 5 explains what happend in that time frame then after that time when fenchurch and arthur go off.....
    ok this is confusing, its easier to just read the books tbh.

So the 5 th book is jsut arthur and ford are back alive again and they go off and have a wacky adventure.

5. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

All the cool trilogies have 6 books.

6. The Dread Pirate

Capodecina

Indeed!

7. gillywibble

Capo Crimine

Me too. The 'trilogy' is perfectly okay as it is.

8. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Not by Douglas Adams => Not interested

9. Sweetloaf

Soldato

"I was aware that there would be definitely some kind of backlash, or even a frontlash before the backlash," Colfer said in an interview in London.

That kind of statement makes me think he can pull it off.

I'll read it, it can't harm the other books now can it?

You only ever read Douglas Adams?

Never judge a book by its author.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  10. Grimley

Soldato

Having read the previous 5 books (the 1st as a kid) I'm very interested in this & to see if this book follows in the same vein. :)

11. jpaul

Capodecina

** T + 9years **

don't forget to listen/download
    Episode 1
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Hexagonal Phase Episode 1 of 6

look at the cast - simon jones, jim broadbent, Stephen Hawking!
    need to dig out the older ones and re-listen, also to Dirk Gentley.

12. Destination

Capodecina

Well let's hope it isn't an abomination like the follow-ups made to Frank Herbert's Dune saga.
    Six good books followed by some utter background drivel, and then coupled onto the end 2 books of complete excrement.
    Awful in content, and terrible in editing, some passages were repeated in different chapters, as if the two authors coming together had two separate editions and neither read the other authors pov.
    Time will tell.

13. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

It came out over eight years ago, check the dates :p

14. Destination

Capodecina

LOL

So was it any good? Or did the author need hung drawn and quartered like the Dune authors?

15. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

I remember it being above average but not great

16. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

Did anyone struggle to find the 5th book (Mostly Harmless) back in the 90s? I remember reading book 1 a few times, then found 2, 3 and 4 no problem, but never found book 5 in the library or bookshops so I never got to read it. I'm sure it's no problem these days though with eBay and Amazon etc.

17. seabiscuit

OcUK Staff

Nope, got a battered hardback copy, but I don't remember it being difficult to find around publication (might have been more so after, but bookshops could certainly have ordered it in). But if that's battered you should see the first copy of The Hitcherhikers Guide to the Galaxy that I owned. Was pretty much permanently in my schoolbag. Got introduced to it from the BBC TV series by my dad in the early eighties when it was shown/made. It's been a major infuence in my life ever since. (pretty sure I bought at least one of my replacement copies from Jane who we both know Pawnless Endgame). Got the radio scripts with so many post-it notes stuck in it. Bought a large illustrated edition from Bookland when it was closing down in Stafford. Had the Infogrammes text adventure on 5.25" disc. Hell, I'd even buy the towl (or a matress that had stopped flolloping).

18. ianh

Soldato

Mostly Harmless is definitely the weakest of the series and I think Adams knew that but, despite the more natural end to the series with book 4, I think he may have felt pressured to give Arthur another runout and maybe didn't quite have his heart fully behind it by that point (he wrote the Dirk Gently series between book 4 and 5 and I think he should have carried on with those instead of making book 5).

However the series, along with the Dirk Gently series is still my favourite novels.

19. wolfie138

Mobster

first book or two were fairly amusing when i read them in my teens, now they're just tedious and drawn out.