7 year old psu for rtx 3080...

Associate
Will it explode?
It's a coolermaster silent pro M2 850W from may 2013, meets the requirements for the card, i've not been particularly stressing it as it spent 3 years powering a gtx770 and 4 years now on a 1080, not overclocking. Worth trying and if there are problems think about changing it?

Man of Honour
@turbot1984 Your Antec is a much better quality psu built by Delta. His Coolermaster wasn't brilliant when it came out and the 12v rail suffers from high ripple which may have gotten worse by now.

Coolermaster psu's are rather hit or miss when it comes to quality. The vast majority have been rubbish with the odd gem thrown in such as the Seasonic built V series which were excellent units. I would be replacing that with a decent modern psu as I wouldn't want to risk a £650+ gpu with it. Any of these will be more than enough:-

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
OP
Thanks, I just read up on voltage ripple which I hadn't looked into before, it would mean I would have no chance of undervolting the card or even having any headroom to oc, I'll go for the 750w superflower since they were always spoken highly of on here, and I seem to remember they deliver a minimum of 750w and draw more from the wall if I'm correct, things might have changed by now. I bought the current psu having seen 80 plus silver, didn't realise there was more to it than that

Soldato
It's a coolermaster silent pro M2 850W from may 2013
That was badly outdated very low end design (with brand hype overprice) already as new.
Efficiency is from around 2008 and it doesn't even have independent regulation for all rails but uses group regulation, which has always been cheap design.

Edit: hmmm...

12v ripple was an issue new, could it get worse over time?
Ripple can only get worse over time with wear of capacitors.

Which were for that time second tier in good day Teapos...
And basically completely protected from any air circulation by extremely huge secondary heatsinks and wire spaghetti.

Permabanned
I recommend wearing one of these....

New-Welding-Mask-Head-mounted-Comfort-Leather-Welding-Helmet-Golden-For-Welder-Protective-Helmet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom