70c Idle Temperature Ryzen 7 3800XT

Associate
Hi,

I've just done a complete rebuild/upgrade of my entire PC besides a new graphics card and my old cooler.

Specs:

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset
Mini ITX Motherboard
CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT Eight Core 4.7GHz (Socket AM4)
RAM:Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz
Old cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 240mm AIO Cooler

----

I'm struggling with high idle temperatures of 60-80 degrees Celsius even on startup.
I've read into reports of NZXT's CAM software showing false readings and have confirmed slightly lower temps using "AMD Ryzen Master" but only by 5 degrees or so.
There's also some threads talking about CAM not allowing the CPU to sleep which Ryzen relies on, but I haven't really understood it.

I've updated my BIOS although I'm unable to install "Asus ROG Armoury Crate" which ASUS recommend (it says its updating then closes) so I don't know if i'm missing anything there.

Worth noting that I had to change my BIOS to use CSM in order to pick up on my (old) windows installation. Also this is a mini ITX build, but I don't think it should be this high.

I've also used aftermarket thermal paste (ArcticSilver) and re-seating the cooler twice.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

Soldato
With ryzen master open, what are the cores doing if you have all applications closed? It should drop the volts and sleep the cores at idle.

Are you using the balanced Ryzen power plan?

and daft question, you removed any plastic from the bottom of the coldplate?

Associate
The cores are not sleeping, and that as you noted in your OP can be caused by monitoring software such as CAM. Essentially, the processors views what CAM is doing as a load, and as such does not let cores sleep. You can verify that by killing all CAM related processes and seeing if cores then go to sleep state.

I don't think thats your issue though. Unless you live in a sauna those temps are high for the power usage, your package power in that screenshot is still only 46W.

Seems more likely that there isn't enough thermal paste, or enough mounting pressure. Remove the block and start again IMO.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Yeah mine came with one, i used an am4 mounting fitting along with a backplate for the mobo, I'll take it apart and check to see the thermal paste coverage? I'm sure it was tight to the CPU.
Failing that perhaps reinstall windows.

I'll give those links a read through thanks!

Associate
OP
I've taken my CPU out, resat it & added new paste (more this time) & reattached the cooler. I'm seeing lower temps now but still 50-55 on startup. I think CAM is giving really bad readings now as it'll so 50 then 70 then 51 then 65 etc.
BIOS was showing 50 degrees on startup too...
I noticed that my last attempt to mount the cooler had resulted in marks on my cooler. Possible it was too tight?

Ive killed all NZXT CAM processes and all my cores are still "awake".
I think the next step is to redo my OS.

Soldato
Could always see what you have to load on startup, check the running services.msc and use taskmanager see if anything else is causing high CPU usage when it shoudl be idle before reinstalling.

Granted I only have a 3600X but here is Ryzen Master + Task Manager when at idle.

Associate
OP
I had a fair amount of programs loading on startup so I've disabled most of them.
After turning my computer on today and checking the temps in BIOS I had 50 degrees on startup, I'm wondering if somethings up on a hardware level, perhaps I've got the wrong driver?
https://imgur.com/a/g3AzEQM

Associate
Plugged into the CPU header (as nzxt manual says to).
Do the fans plug into a separate header? I am not familiar with the NZXT AIO's, but on most of them the "fan" header that goes to the pump controls the pump only. If you put it on the CPU fan header, your board will treat it like a CPU fan and as such it'll be running at a very low speed until it gets really hot.

To rule this out, go into your BIOS and set CPU "fan" to run at 100% / 12V manually and see if you see an improvement. Also ensure that CAM or any other software is not interfering with this once in Windows. Running the pump at a lower speed can reduce noise, but they generally cant go as low as a fan can as a % of full speed.

Soldato
Step 7 shows plugging the tach wire into the CPU fan header. Not sure about that cooler but my H100 I just set it to 100% and use the iCUE software to set the pump speed to balanced.

FWIW my 3700X idles about 35 in a hot room with the fans on quiet, radiator and case. Spikes up to 65 ish in lightly threaded stuff likes games and low 70 odd running thread intensive stuff. Temps, voltage and core speed do bounce about, this is normal for Ryzen.

I see it's an ITX board, what case and fan setup?

Associate
OP
It's the 50 degrees on startup that's bugging me. Computer was off all night, instantly reading 50 in BIOS?

My case is this

Fan setup:
* Radiator on top of case
* 2 140mm fans intake at front
* 2 140mm fans out at the bottom of the case

Might be worth noting that the water temp usually reads as 30 degrees.

I know its a small case so temps will be higher but I'm not sure they should be this high?

Associate
OP
My last CPU was an I7 4770k which always ran hot.
I bought the AIO cooler 2 years ago to try and combat it and saw a minor improvement. I just wrote it off as having a hot CPU (I found other threads on the internet sharing my opinion).

I'm starting to wonder if the cooler just never really worked...

Back
Top Bottom