74 gb raptor windows+programs help

Soldato
Well, Ive got a 74 gb raptor and a 160gb deskstar. the 160gb will be used for backuping important data..

what should go on the raptor and what should go on the deskstar. I have music, games, programs, windows and pagefile. What should go on what. And should i partition the 74gb raptor.

Cheers

Permabanned
Right, I would say Windows and Uni stuff (If you go uni, you know what I mean) on the raptor, also image editing, web design stuff on that. (If you do that kind of thing, also programming)

Deskstar - Games, movies, Music .. :D

Associate
Id put Windows and your Games on the Raptor and use the other drive for your music and other Programs.... Thats what ive done :p

Soldato
Dear oh dear guys!

Raptor: Windows, Games, Programs, Pagefile
Deskstar: Movies, music, My Documents.

A raptor 74GB will not fill up quickly. Windows = 4GB, Programs = 10GB, so that leaves about 55GB for game = about 11 high HDU games at any one time.

Permabanned
If you google for results from a good site about page files etc, you will find 3 things mainly

1) XP manages page file very well on its own, changing size from default 1.5x your ram amount does little or nothing infact.

2) Turning of page file is madness as some apps really need it so another myth about performance.

3) Putting page file on another partition or HDD does nothing for performance.

I got a 150gig Raptor X last week, 1st thing I did before even formated was kill the acoustic management (nearly fainted when I seen it was turned on on a Raptor), anyhow Im on a pci bus as I use a Silicon 3112 rev 2 controler as my own pc isnt NF4 its special to me NF2, heavily modded

I get in HD-TACH 3.0 a sustained read of 78MB/Sec sometimes tad more and burst is 110MB/Sec which I assume is as its on pci bus but its single drive and soon I see what it can do in Raid 0.
Other apps like HD-Tune and HD-Speed seem to read higher as I get a Sustained read of 84MB/Sec.

Windows will run a lot faster on your Raptor and unraring files and game loading times is also notably faster for me now even though my last drive (still got as data drive for now ) was a fast 16MB 300gig Sata drive also.

Permabanned
Its on a lot of makes of HDD's but not all, its a way of making the seek arms slower so quieter, I see no point in buying a Raptor for quietness so no point in AMM being on by default, grab the Hitachi feature tool from their main site as its only one to see SATA HDD's, I used to use old IBM tool which had some 3rd party name on maxtor EIDE's HDD'S but it cant see SATA HDD's

Basically boot to the floppy, or bootable .ISO and follow on screen info till you at the Raptor and you can do lot of stuff but I dont think turning off SMART stays off or does much for gaining speed so only mess with AMM, also dont touch your read or write cache, its myth about turning one or both of to gain anything your HDD will be major slow take it from me, I had a cache chip die on me once and PC was slow and it took me days to work out what was wrong.

You can set AMM to any setting from off to diff specs in between on or off then hit TEST button and you will hear how loud it is at current setting, my Raptor aint louder now but if it seeks it will rattle away but I dont mind I wanted speed not a job in a libary.

Soldato
smids said:
Dear oh dear guys!

Raptor: Windows, Games, Programs, Pagefile
Deskstar: Movies, music, My Documents.

A raptor 74GB will not fill up quickly. Windows = 4GB, Programs = 10GB, so that leaves about 55GB for game = about 11 high HDU games at any one time.

Completely agree with this

Keep your programs, games and OS on the fast drive - this is where you'll really notice the difference

Stuff like music, docs, etc have no need for a fast drive so put them on the slower drive to free up space

Back
Top Bottom