76th Anniversary Of D-Day

Man of Honour
If anyone gets the chance, go to the beaches on the anniversary.

I did it a couple of years ago and it's an amazing experience. I'm hoping to do it again next year. Visited Sword, Ohama (including the cemetery) and later on went to the veterans parade in Arromanches.

Spent June 5th around Pegasus bridge and then visited the Bayeux cemetery. At Pegasus all the veterans were there and having a reunion and the attention they got fromt he schoolkids was fantastic. I've never seen a group of kids away from school so quiet and attentive as some of the veterans told the story of the battle for the bridge.

I'll have a look through the photos later and see if I can find anything worthy of putting up.

Permabanned
Amazing what they did, they gave up every liberty to fight and defeat the Nazis, RIP to all those that died without having to enjoy life to the full, having children, taken away through mindless violence, we shall never forget.

Man of Honour
Operation Overlord the Allied invasion of Normandy on the 6th of June 1944.

Omaha Beach​

dday1.jpg

Sword Beach​

dday2o.jpg

Juno Beach​

dday3.jpg

Man of Honour
An old friend of mine was a Commando who took part in the invasion - I can't remember which beach it was now, but I remember him telling me how 'damned difficult' it was scaling the cliffs under machine gun fire and grenade/mortar fire. He would never go into detail, but he said he lost a lot of good friends on that day.

Soldato
Me, my father and uncle went for the 60th Anniversary, cannot remember all the places we went but it was amazing to be there for it.

Will never forget the experience we had, Saint Auben was lovely town we stayed in, Pegasus bridge was amazing and some of the museum photos were taken where the main 'event' was hosted with all the top dignitaries.

Took some pictures if anyone wants to have a look at:

(apologies for the lack of photography skill)

Click Here

web.jpg

web.jpg

Back
Top Bottom