• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700K RMA replacement

Associate
Hi guys and girls,

I recently had to RMA my 7700k for reasons, the CPU is now with Intel and I have been conveniently informed that they are out of stock of the 7700k and they won't even know when they'll be able to provide me with another, they said it could even take a month or more!

So I asked them if there's any chance they could provide me with an alternative CPU, to which they offered me a 7700T as a "one-time alternative" (lol) which I refused. Now they have offered me a 7740X instead, which (from what I can see) is of a similar spec to the 7700K, however I'll need to buy an X299 motherboard.

Now my question is whether you guys think I should accept this as a replacement, or just bite the bullet and wait until they contact me again?

Associate
I'd be fairly disgusted that they offered a 7700T in replacement in the first place, wtf? - Depends how desperate you are to get it back? Have you got another processor/board whilst you wait?
Other option is to take the 7740X and sell it as sealed to get a reasonable price, and then buy another 7700k 2nd hand? Looking on eBay you would still need to spend on-top after a sale so not ideal and you wouldn't know the history of a 2nd hand CPU.. (I would still advise to just wait for a replacement from intel myself)

Associate
OP
I'd be fairly disgusted that they offered a 7700T in replacement in the first place, wtf? - Depends how desperate you are to get it back? Have you got another processor/board whilst you wait?
Other option is to take the 7740X and sell it as sealed to get a reasonable price, and then buy another 7700k 2nd hand? Looking on eBay you would still need to spend on-top after a sale so not ideal and you wouldn't know the history of a 2nd hand CPU.. (I would still advise to just wait for a replacement from intel myself)

Yeah I was pretty livid that they would even try to offer me a 7700T, god knows what they were thinking. I wanted to rage at them but considering they still have my CPU it's out of my hands lol. I've got a 6600K that I'm using temporarily, but I'm really missing the Hyperthreading. I guess I don't really have a choice but to wait it out and see what they can do

Associate
OP
So I've just requested a refund, a shame it had to go this way but guess it's the way it has to be. On the bright side I think I'll use the money to go down the Ryzen route

Associate
OP
Hi guys, I've got an update from Intel and they have given me a full refund of the CPU. I guess I'm happy to get the refund but I would have preferred a replacement. Plus I kinda wanted to get a Ryzen-based system so I'll use the money towards that.

Associate
Good thing you got the money back instead of accepting a weaker CPU!
It's a bit of a shame that 7700K did not last a few months more so you could have jumped right onto a 7nm build.

Associate
OP
Good thing you got the money back instead of accepting a weaker CPU!
It's a bit of a shame that 7700K did not last a few months more so you could have jumped right onto a 7nm build.

I know :(, I really want to hold out for the 3000 series because they look amazing but I honestly don't know if I can wait that long. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I guess I'm just happy that they even gave me a refund, I've kinda become an AMD fanboy and after learning about Intel's shady past makes me a bit happy that I can send some of that money to AMD. People will disagree but to each their own

Associate
OP
happy days, do i get you old board for mentioning it haha

how much did you pay?
Haha unfortunately I'm gonna sell the board so it can go towards the 3000 series, I paid the same amount via Amazon, they base the refund amount depending on what you paid for it originally as long as it's within a year. They said if it's more than a year then they'll give me a partial refund depending on the age of the CPU, so I'm glad I got the full refund. I just had to send them a copy of my invoice for validation.

Back
Top Bottom