775 to Ryzen Upgrade Advice

s-p

s-p

Associate
I'm currently rocking a rather old 775 platform (L5410 quad core @ 2.33 ghz, Asus P5K, 6GB of slow DDR2 ram), which is now starting to show its age. The computer is primarily used for; browsing the web, gaming, coding and encoding old camcorder footage, all of which could benefit from a platform upgrade.

The rest of my components are as following; AMD R9 270 2GB (stock), Crucial 240GB SSD, Cosair 450W PSU, none of which I'm looking to upgrade at the moment.

In terms of the upgrade, I generally steer towards value and am therefore considering:
  • Ryzen 1600, which I'll being looking to overclock using the stock cooler. I do have a Coolermaster Hyper 412S cooler, but imagine it won't be a lot better than the stock cooler.
  • B350 Motherboard of some sort up to ATX form factor.
  • 8/16GB DDR4 Ram.
Is the Ryzen 1600 the sweet spot in terms of value? Which B350 motherboards support a reasonable overclock without too much tweaking? Should I be looking to move up to 16GB despite the price of DDR4 ram at the moment? What is the minimum speed of RAM I should be looking at?

I wouldn't mind a new case to put this in, so any recommendations on that front would be a appreciated.

Man of Honour
The Ryzen 1600 is the sweet spot imo , overclock it but you may need an AM4 bracket for your Coolermaster 412 though the Wraith Spire cooler would do for know.

Personally i would get 16gb of ram 3000mhz above that cost rises sharply but if you cant stretch then 8gb will do.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £489.06
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Man of Honour
That is going to be one huge upgrade!! Check out the Ryzen threads and see what memory kits people are using as the platform is still a rather buggy and has problems with some ram. You do need 3000mhz+ though as there is a significant performance boost over slower ram.

Soldato
That is going to be one huge upgrade!! Check out the Ryzen threads and see what memory kits people are using as the platform is still a rather buggy and has problems with some ram. You do need 3000mhz+ though as there is a significant performance boost over slower ram.

second this. just yesterday i reset my RAM from 2133 to 3000mhz and the difference is night and day for FPS gains.

Back
Top Bottom