• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800 and 7900 - difference ?

Associate
Aidoscuz said:
The 7900 series has less transistors and runs cooler as well as having higher clock speeds.
It runs cooler because it's on a smaller process.

Floating point blending (i.e HDR) performance has been improved very slightly.
The SLI bridge has been improved for better performance.

The 7900 GT is clocked 20 MHz higher than the 7800 GTX.

Associate
I actually had no idea that there was such a high failure rate on the 7900 series. I just assumed that the problems most people had were in relation to trying the volt mods and frying the memory by accident.

Anyway my pair have been fine so far and given me great performance for the cost. Of course I won't be so pleased if they give up on me before I want to upgrade.

Associate
The difference between the 7800GT and the 7900GT is : -

20 pixel shaders vs 24
400mhz core vs 450mhz (and can easily overclock to 550mhz)
1000mhz mem vs 1320mhz (and can easily overclock to 1600mhz)
130nm die vs 90nm die
cooler operation on the 7900GT

Although a lot of peole are saying that the 7900's are all breaking, I have had one working fine for two months, and a second working fine alongside it for two weeks.

They are overclocking very nicely, and keeping nice and cool with a pair of VF900CUs fitted.

Back
Top Bottom