• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800gs benchies

Permabanned
Raikiri, very funny, for £600, I only get mid range parts from ocuk for customers for non gamming rigs, like a amd64 mobo/amd64 3200-3500 and 1gig ram and good case/cpu then the crappy non gamming pci-e 6600 passive 256MB cards as they dont game and wont pay ££££ for gamming cards.

So I dont have clue how your £600 rig can compare to a high end agp, infact I'd be as bold to say in games it cant, fact is your only shooting off as you only spent £600, try saying that if you bought a £400 + gpu 18months ago or £235 worth of ram recently.

When Vista arrive I will be lucky to get the GPU thats Nvidia flagship for £600 as now the XfX Exreme overclocked 7800GTX 512MB is £528

I will stick to my rig over any the ones i build due to gpu and cost to me to get all top pci-e rig parts as it can wait till Vista for now i can max all games inc FEAR and IMO it looks ok on screen, even though id guess FPS is around low 30's if that.

Today £600 is nothing esp no way its a high end gamming rig.

Last edited:
Associate
Duke said:
Hmm looks like I'll go for PCI-E afterall. Was hoping 7800GS was going to be a bit quicker than this.

Same. I think AGP deserved a better send-off than this. I was hoping for more as I was thinking of upgrading the old AGP card one last time, but from an X800XTPE I dont think its worth it. Oh well..

Permabanned
Worth it IF and only IF you want to see dx9c and all new features like s.m 3.0 / p.s 3.0 and HDR if your other parts in rig are good and you intend to use as gamming rig for next 6-12months, cause I think you can sell these new cards for good price in that time, then go new rig for Vista at a arm and leg cost for high end gamming rig as it will be with £600 gpus, as for now there £528 in ocuk.

Caporegime
robg1701 said:
Sorry thats the biggest load of tripe ive read all day gibbo.

6800 Ultra was a 16 pipe 16rop card, this is a 16 pipe 8 rop card and its clocked slower so its vastly less capable than the 6800Ultra in terms of pixel output, the efficiency increase of the pixel shaders in the G70 core vs the old NV40 is not enough to overcome that in several situations....the Anandtech benchmarks show the 7800GS getting its ass handed to it by an XTPE rather a lot, so this card is far from a 6800ultra beater at stock, in many situations its actually good deal slower. As for overclocking, well you could overclock an ultra too, albeit not as much.

As for price, yes the ultra was more expensive but that was a long time ago (18 months since release), it wouldnt command that sort of price today and it wouldnt cost them near as much to produce today as it did then either so its hardly a like for like comparison.

You can buy a 7800GT pcie card today for less than a 7800GS AGP. Thats to be expected for the lower volume, and the ~$10 cost to use an HSI pcie-agp bridge, so no arguments there. But the performance is VASTLY inferior at that price premium, so that is far far far from what i call a good card for the money.

Poor show nvidia.

Aww come on, hes gota sell them you know, he's hardly likely to come out and say "its a pile of ****" is he, not if hes got a warehouse full of em!!. :D

Im very suprised, its pitched next down from the 7800 GT, yet it is managing to keep up with a 6800 GT, and a 6800 Ultra in some cases, thats IN SOME CASES ITS MANAGING TO KEEP UP WITH!!!, so that makes the 6800 Ultra a better card, poor, poor showing from Nvidia, may as well get yourselves a 7800 GT, far, far superior, and a PCI-E mobo to go with it, may as well spend the same amount on that, as you can get GT's for £185 and thats with VAT!!. :)

Permabanned
Yip the 6800Ultra was paper launched in april 2004 so no shame if this new card can keep up or even beat it in some benches, but ive still to see 1 review with the reviewer having the balls to stick a 6800ultra in the mix.

Caporegime
Just been reading the Anandtech review here , gets beat of the x850 XT PE, and we all know the x850 XT PE was the fastest AGP card out, faster than the 6800 Ultra, so no way does this card beat the Ultra, and from those guys, x850 XT PE is generally faster than it, so its still the top dog of AGP cards. :eek:

Permabanned
And the 6800 Ultra Extremes (Evga) at 450/1200 beat the ati so who cares ?, the ati x800/850 were a joke being dx9b card that late in the day, who the hell wants to game in dx9b and all other 2.5+year old extentsions in 2006 ?, I'd take a 6000 or 7000 series Nvidia over them anyday and I did. :)

IMO you cant compare a X800/850 to a 6000/7000 cause they aint doing the same work and id happily lose a few fps to get dx9c /s.m 3.0 / p.s 3.0 and HDR on screen, ofcoarse you may not care about the look fo your games, but then you wouldnt buy a flagship card (at time of being new) would you ?.

Soldato
why bring the 6800 Ultra into this? on agp that card is costing over 300 quid now so its useless to even consider it.

im gonna rough it for a while now, i just got a 1 gig stick of ram for my pc so now i got 2 gig of ram. im gonna hang on to this pc till 2007. if i get an xbox 360 then my current pc will do me till 2008 or more.

Soldato
It's a very solid performing card. What were everyody expecting? The 7800GS to paste the X850 all over the wall? It's not like it's got more pipes or is clocked all that faster.

The 7800GS has a bigger feature set, that's it's selling point. Plus it's AVAILABLE to buy new.

I probably wouldn't get one if my X800 hadn't died. I simply don't have a choice, unless I want to risk a second hand card.

It's a good attempt by nVidia. Plus, what if Rivatuner CAN unlock that last quad? That's what i'm wishing for :)

Caporegime
A lot of ppl were expecting it to paste the x850, 6800 Ultra, theres a lot of ppl with 6800 GT's etc... who have been waiting for this so called cracking card so they could upgrade their AGP's, but they probably all feel a bit let down, as it only keeps up with the GT, and in some cases the Ultra, so its a useless upgrade, no gain, looks like they will have to go PCI-E afterall, as if you have a 6800 GT etc... you would'nt waste your money on that. :(

OcUK Staff
LoadsaMoney said:
Doesn't look like the 7800 GS owns the x850 XT PE there either, Fear, Far Cry, Black and White 2 ......., only Saviour Is Nv's Doom 3, but thats no suprise is it. ;)

The 7800 GS is quicker in Half Life 2 as well, now who'd have thought that. :p

Come on lets face it the 7800 GS is a great card as is the 6800 GS.

I stand by my comment early that the 7800 GS is quicker or as quick as a 6800 Ultra in most games, yes it may only have 8 ROPS but the architecture is a lot more fine tuned and more up-to-date than that of a 6800 Ultra. Also the 7800 GS should turn out to be fantastic overclockers with some hitting 500MHz core and 1400MHz+ on memory without modification and that makes for a very quick card.

6800 GS hover around 6800 GT performance levels dependent on clock speeds but cost approx £150 Inc. VAT and 7800 GS is as quick as 6800 Ultra in most things and in some faster and cost approx £225 Inc. VAT. Making them good upgrade paths for AGP users with the extra performance and features.

Clearly if you already have an X800 XT or X850 XT or 6800 GT/Ultra there is little point in upgrading unless you really want the new features and in some cases small boost in performance on certain games. :)

Soldato
Glad I broke apart & sold my old AGP system and only had to pay another £400 to get a 7800GTX512+PCI-E mobo+DDR2 Ram ;)

No way on earth was Nvidia ever gonna release something which performance wise would take sales away from the PCI-E 7800s. The average gamer will ensure it is a sales success as they do not want nor need anything better especially as most play @ 1024x768 or 1280x1024 so this will be more than enough for the next year or so.

Back
Top Bottom