• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800gs benchies

Permabanned
Raikiri said:
Humey, are you related to egt?

Who is she/he ?

Anyhow nope, but facts are facts you cant compair a dx9b and old extention card to a dx9c with new extentions card and say 1 is faster by (X) FPS so is faster card cause they aint doing same work and most peeps with half a brain wouldnt want to game in dx9b in feb 2006 unless ofcoarse they already have aolder card, I mean to actually buy today, infact i think buying a X800/850 at time they were new was still too late in day for dx9b since sp2 broughh dx9c in aug 2004 but this parts IMO only.

Permabanned
BTW There is review showing the XFX overclocked 7800GS agp totally beating the BFG overlocked 6800 Ultra, I wont post links but its on bjorn + 3d site (you should know it if you know hardware).

Soldato
7800GS = "It keeps up with the GeForce 6800 GT and even (not produced anymore) Ultra in most test." from http://www.guru3d.com

& "the X850 XTPE is generally faster than the new NVIDIA part" from http://www.anandtech.com

The 7800GS doesnt look that appealing really (especially for anyone on an X800 series or 6800 series card).

I would recommend changing to PCIE & then get a graphics card.

Associate
OP
jimmy29 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/02/nvidia_7800gs_confirms_agp_aint_dead_yet/

Summary: 7800GS beats the 6800 Ultra and owns the X850XT PE

It is the best AGP card, just not by as much as many people had hoped.
the card they use in that test is the overclocked bfg so its not a fair test is it. the only reason for ugrading to this imo is if your card is broke or you have a 9*** or 5*** series card but apart from that i would save up for pci-e.

I have been very dissapointed by nvidia lately even though i am a big fan the pricing for their cards at the moment is a joke. you still have to pay £289 +vat for the gtx when the x1800xt which is faster with better features only cost £249+vat and has 512mb of memory. are they stupid? i know if i was buying now what card i would choose so surley they should take a look at there pricing and lower them to compete with ati (sorry for the rant)

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess I can change my stance slightly, well done, the card beats the 6800ultra........JUST! But really it seems like more of a rehash with a new name on it really!

To be honets you can get a fairly powerful system for £600 in pci-e land like raikiri said! COnsidering the x850xtpe is the fastest card for AGP then its not too hard to beat these systems ;)

Think of getting a GTO2 then modding it :p thats how you would equal and depending on what you get CPU wise you could beat it by getting a GT at probably just over the £600 mark

Soldato
Humey said:
Who is she/he ?

Someone else who goes completely overboard about SM3, while your replies have slightly more substance it is stil the same rubbish :p

When the 6800ultra and x850xtpe were released, SM3 was not at all important. Even now when those cards are starting to struggle it isnt extensively used.

Permabanned
Raikiri, Please dont insult me again OK, back up your flames.

Fact is n40 launched (paper) april 2004 and dx9c came with sp2 aug 2004, Id rather be future proof and FarCry patched to 1.3 showed of these new features, so for me and others as it took long time to get flagship cards from nvidia and ati (both boobed on getting them to stores) it was important to be dx9c, other like you dont agree cause you have a out of date dx9b card, now in a matter of 6 months after FarCry did it other games started to patch or be new out of box with new dx9c features.

All games today ask you to install dx9c and its better IMO if the card actually runs it fully at a hardware level this is now nearly 2 years on.

Soldato
Humey said:
Raikiri, Please dont insult me again OK, back up your flames.
In what way was what I said insulting you or flaming you?

You put far too much emphasis on SM3.0, that was all I said.

Read the rest of my post, it is backed up completely. And other things I have posted such as "get an asrock dual + 7800gt" are completely correct if someone is on socket 939, if they are on 775 or 754 then they can also get a PCI-e based board and a 7800GT for less than the 7800GS.

For anyone other than socket A with a low end card, the 7800GS is pointless and an awful product.

Humey said:
other like you dont agree cause you have a out of date dx9b card

Yes, my out of date dx9b 7800GT, or did you mean my 6800? :p
You are the one with an out of date card, not me :)

Edit: (An hour later) Come on humey, please back up your 'flames'.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ACESHIGH said:
7800GS = "It keeps up with the GeForce 6800 GT and even (not produced anymore) Ultra in most test." from http://www.guru3d.com

& "the X850 XTPE is generally faster than the new NVIDIA part" from http://www.anandtech.com

The 7800GS doesnt look that appealing really (especially for anyone on an X800 series or 6800 series card).

I would recommend changing to PCIE & then get a graphics card.

Yup its carp, i dont understand where Humey is coming from, it should be faster than the old gen 6 series/x8 series cards, but it isn't.

Soldato
Toms Hardware have a review up too, they are benching at 400mhz/1250mhz, with a BFG card, and its beating the 6800Ultra in every bench. The 850XTPE's still the AGP champ though.

But most the reviews are noting that the cards are good clockers, so they arnt 'that' bad.

Soldato
so what if it is only as fast as a 6800 ultra!!!!

If its cheap then its a great agp card, arguably the best. Might stop the £200 ebay auctions for 6800's. If it comes in at about 150 then its a great card. We all know they give them stupid names. They rehash every performance gap for every number iteration.

There is no point saysing its carp.. But if it is like 250 quid then its a rip off.

Caporegime
JaFFa said:
so what if it is only as fast as a 6800 ultra!!!!

If its cheap then its a great agp card, arguably the best. Might stop the £200 ebay auctions for 6800's. If it comes in at about 150 then its a great card. We all know they give them stupid names. They rehash every performance gap for every number iteration.

There is no point saysing its carp.. But if it is like 250 quid then its a rip off.

The extreme editions £270 :eek:

Permabanned
WTF, I aint comming from anywhere, Im stating a dx9b card dont compair to nvidias 6000/7000 cards with dx9c regardless of FPS, nothing to do with these newer nvidias v older dx9c nvidias.

Tell you what I will not bother my botty, I will go and play NFS-MW on a dx9c card lol :p

Soldato
Completely ignored my post then, guess that would happen.

Oh and another thing, NFS:MW does not really use and dx9c features (such as shader mark 3, HDR) so whats that last part of your post bragging about? How the game looks exactly the same on a SM2.0 card as it does on a SM3.0 card? smooth :cool:

Caporegime
Its a good clocker so it isn't that bad, of course it is, did ATi release the x1900 and say, yes it is slower than the x1800, but its a good overclocker, so once you do that, it is faster, did Nvidia release the 512mb GTX and say, yes it is slower than the 256mb GTX, but its a good overclocker, so once you overclock it, it will be faster, i don't think so, it should be quicker out of the box, not managing to keep up, its simple.

Back
Top Bottom