• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800gs benchies

Soldato
turbotoaster said:
ran the card last night on 3d mark 05 using the xfx overclock utility and got 7874 score, I cant see any 6800 hitting that score, and that was on standard voltage

Just short of 7k here at stock. Liking this card more and more :)

Humey said:
did i claim it did, you sure talk one load of **** raikiri

I'd edit that before you get a holiday from a passing don. And stop arguing, nobody wants to read it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
:eek:
LoadsaMoney said:
Its a good clocker so it isn't that bad, of course it is, did ATi release the x1900 and say, yes it is slower than the x1800, but its a good overclocker, so once you do that, it is faster, did Nvidia release the 512mb GTX and say, yes it is slower than the 256mb GTX, but its a good overclocker, so once you overclock it, it will be faster, i don't think so, it should be quicker out of the box, not managing to keep up, its simple.

Spot on loadsamoney, my thought exactly.

Good 3D mark scores though :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Humey said:
did i claim it did, you sure talk one load of OH I'M A NOOB & NEED TO READ THE FAQ raikiri

You implied it, in the words of whatever don that was "NOOB"

My point is, to the large percentage of people this card is completely useless.
Anyone with a 6800GT or above wont see huge gains, anyone running 775,754 or 939 could upgrade to PCI-e and get a 7800GT which is faster and it would cost less.

To a tiny amount of people, this will be a godsend. But largely, it will be pointless

Last edited:
Permabanned
hmm, What you ranting on about, I aint talking about upgrading a 6000 nvidia card to this new card, Im talking about you compairing FPS on non dx9c cards to dx9c claiming x800/850 are faster when not even running same extentions, anyhow I cant be bothered here im off, got better things to do than argue.

You did have dig at me 1st afterall, good night

Last edited:

kdd

kdd

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Its a good clocker so it isn't that bad, of course it is, did ATi release the x1900 and say, yes it is slower than the x1800, but its a good overclocker, so once you do that, it is faster, did Nvidia release the 512mb GTX and say, yes it is slower than the 256mb GTX, but its a good overclocker, so once you overclock it, it will be faster, i don't think so, it should be quicker out of the box, not managing to keep up, its simple.

yes but there and thereabouts it's as fast as a 6800 ultra, and unlike the ultra and indeed the x850xtpe it's available to buy. Also most nv40 cards ran hot so weren't great clockers without extreme cooling. If a 7800gs can hit 500+ on the core then it will be a nice upgrade.

Soldato
Humey said:
hmm, What you ranting on about, I aint talking about upgrading a 6000 nvidia card to this new card, Im talking about you compairing FPS on non dx9c cards to dx9c claiming x800/850 are faster when not even running same extentions, anyhow I cant be bothered here im off, got better things to do than argue.

You did have dig at me 1st afterall, good night

I consider an x850 card to be above a 6800GT. They are faster when they do run the same extensions (most games). So my point still stands.

And I did not have a dig at you :p You seem to be taking all this very personally.

As for £600 only buying a mid range pci-e system(i missed that post)... look at my sig. Slightly better than a 6600 wouldnt you say?

Soldato
With the current prices of top end AGP cards, unless you don't have a skt 754 or 939 proc, people might as well hit PCI-e. The cards are cheaper, the boards are cheap and you can sell all your current lot before it becomes too hard to sell. Just my 2p since the 7800GS is below expectations.

Associate
I think the point is it's a missed opportunity... If it had have been released as an AGP version of the 7800GT with comparible capabilities and speed at maybe £50 more it would have been an outstanding card and a life line to people stuck on AGP for a while longer.

Instead it has limited appeal and is distinctly so so...

/shrug

Soldato
hmm, some people on XS forums claiming that they managed to unlock to 20 pipes. gonna read more up on this. if it is true then it will be worth considering getting a card.

Caporegime
I thought the x8 series could'nt do HDR all that well, but in those HL2 benchies, the overclocked BFG 7800 GS is only 0. something ahead with HDR on, at best gets about 1. something ahead lol, and in the lates games like Fear, Call of Duty 2, the x850 XT PE wallops it, and the 7800 GS is overclocked!!, if you want to play old games then get the 7800 GS, but if you want to play the latest demanding games, then the go for the x850, as judging by that BFG OVERCLOCKED 7800 GS review, in games like Fear/COD2 it can't compete.

Back
Top Bottom