• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800GTX Cooling Solution

Soldato
Strings said:
I just got a couple of your average elasticated bands, and just bound the fan to it.

I wouldn't do that. The heat inside the PC will dry out the elastic bands and cause them to become brittle and they'll just disintegrate.

Man of Honour
Hmm..why doesn't the "dead spot" in the centre of a fan cause a problem? Do you need to take care to position the fan in such a way that the centre of the fan is not over the GPU?

I have a two spare Akasa Ultra Quiet fans - one 80mm and one 120mm. Which would be better? More airflow at lower noise on the 120mm, but also a bigger dead spot.

Hmm...if I just disconnect the stock fan and connect the stick-on fan to my fan controller, would the card freak out about not having a fan attached to the fan power header on the card? I think it's a 2-pin connection, which I think would rule out it having fan speed monitoring.

How about a little silicone sealant to attach the fan? Vibration dampening and a good stick, but I'm wary about how the heat would affect it and about the solvents as it dries. Besides, I'd have to leave the card for hours to dry. Maybe not.

I don't want to screw it on, if that's possible, so I can keep the option of lying to the manufacturer to claim under warranty if need be. The fan control doesn't work on my card, so screw them.

Soldato
Angilion said:
Hmm..why doesn't the "dead spot" in the centre of a fan cause a problem? Do you need to take care to position the fan in such a way that the centre of the fan is not over the GPU?

I have a two spare Akasa Ultra Quiet fans - one 80mm and one 120mm. Which would be better? More airflow at lower noise on the 120mm, but also a bigger dead spot.

The card heatsink doesnt sit square over the GPU anyway so if you put the fan in the center of the HS the dead spot isnt over the core, us an 80mm as a 120 would be far to big.

Associate
I had a similar problem with my 7800, in fact the top card was being heated up by the bottom card - i tried blowing a fan from the case door onto them but it made little difference - so in the end i put one of those pci card blowers in the next slot up and it now blasts the back of the card. the temp came right down, and it also had a knock on effect and brought down the cpu temp and mobo temp as air is probably being bounced of the card back up the case. OCuk do them their only £7 or something, and have a controller so you can finetune it. worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom