• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

785g graphics question

Associate
I've just bought a gigabyte am2+ mobo with the 785g chipset which as you may well know has the radeon 4200 graphics onboard, now I was Reading the manual and it says it supports hybrid crossfire mode,

here's the question can I put a 4890 card in it and that and the 4200 chip somehow team up to deliver better graphics or is it like normal crossfire where i have to put a 4200 card in it ?

Hope all that makes sense lol

matt

Soldato
I don't even think a 4200 card exists, but i understand what you're saying. Yes, it should work with a 4890 but performance increase would be negligible, unless you have Windows 7. The reason being that it treats it more like a small cluster rather than chips with dedicated tasks. Basically, Win7 allocates tasks to each of the chips (CPU, GPU and NB in your case) depending on the task and the chips capability.

Soldato
if it were like normal crossfire then you'd end up slightly confused as to what was wrong with your 4890 :D

IIRC, the 4200 will just offload some of the peripheral tasks.
[conjecture]
I might be completely wrong here, but it might be that the 4890 is sometimes unused, favouring the 4200 for 2D graphical tasks, with the 4890 coming in when 3D horsepower is needed.. This saves power, making it all more efficient overall..
[/conjecture]

Back
Top Bottom