• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900 - 13,000 3dMark05

Soldato
how soon is very soon gibbo? :D got me excited, my x850xt is getting a little bit grey on top (quite literally as i havent cleaned the dust off it in ages) so ill be looking to upgrade soon :)

Soldato
This is getting silly. X3 is probably the most demanding game out there with high use of shaders etc and my 7800gt runs it flawlessly. All this will lead to is badly coded games.

Caporegime
Same here, tried the x3 benchmark, maxed to the hilt 1280x1024 (TFT) average was about 45fps, all they are doing is releasing cards to get one up on each other imo, they are going to run the same games maxed out just like our cards can. :)

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Same here, tried the x3 benchmark, maxed to the hilt 1280x1024 (TFT) average was about 45fps, all they are doing is releasing cards to get one up on each other imo, they are going to run the same games maxed out just like our cards can. :)
megh - not really. when they max out the res with AA/AF, then comes along Adaptive AA and then HDR. If your PC can give 60fps+ in games like farcry in 1280x1024 maxed out with HDR and ultra eye candy, either you have bad vision or are lying :p

People seem to concentrate on the fps counter too much. There are plenty of things that need to be added to games that will make it look much more crisp. Why dont you all take a leaf out of Intels book - the future isnt about frequency its about features/functionality.

Associate
fornowagain said:
I found something close to that with some prices, see here

from that link:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 512MB SLi (550MHz GPU / 1200MHz GDDR-3) (AMD A64 FX-57 2.8GHz)
12,200 3DMarks for $1,439.61 (£815.58)

err totally BS since the memroy is clocked at 1700 by default. and they score much higher than that. my 2x256mb SLI at 560/1450 score over 13k so I dont see how that score could be so low.

also 3dmark05 isnt the best benchmark as the scores are run at a resolution and level of eyecandy well below that at which these cards shine. ;)

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:

you're not listening!

the price 20"+ screens have dropped to is leading more and more people to require more and more gfx power.

All that seems to happen is that they release a top card, people buy it in sli for willy waving/genuine performance concerns (eg I ended up going for sli because my x850xt just couldn't hack it at 1920x1200) then the next gen or a revision follows shortly afterwards that packs the performance of 2 cards into 1.. and so it continues.

But to say its not neccessary just because you can max out decent games at 1280x1024 is nonsense.. some of us like running at native res :p

Granted anyone who runs a 19" or lower with any of this stuff from new is probably barking, I would have thought they were better hanging a level back from top of the range.

Caporegime
Goksly said:
megh - not really. when they max out the res with AA/AF, then comes along Adaptive AA and then HDR. If your PC can give 60fps+ in games like farcry in 1280x1024 maxed out with HDR and ultra eye candy, either you have bad vision or are lying :p

People seem to concentrate on the fps counter too much. There are plenty of things that need to be added to games that will make it look much more crisp. Why dont you all take a leaf out of Intels book - the future isnt about frequency its about features/functionality.

Would'nt know about FarCry, completed it years ago on the 9800pro before all the HDR etc... came along. :)

Obviously at higher resolutions your going to need more gfx power, but im at 1280x1024 as having a TFT, and my x1800 XT runs everything fine at that res. :)

Obviously im just talking about the games ive got/played. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
lol but thats my point.... there are things in the pipeline that will make the current top end graphics cards fall to their knees even at resolutions such as 1280x1024...
Turn up everything to high quality, wack up the A-AA/AF to max - mix that with a bit of HDR effect and quickly the fps will drop below 60 during a scene where you are not hiding in a corner looking at a wall :p

This is why we need knew cards coming out. Yeah, the software monkeys defo aint coding with ultimate performance in mind, but they are still bringing out new developements that are hurting the current and future top end cards :)

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Who said anything about 60fps, your not one of those "i can't play games at less than 60fps as its a slideshow, jerkathon" brigade are you. :(

You say that as if people who don't like playing games below 60fps are bad people...

Anyway, why settle for 30fps, even if you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps (which I find hard to believe)? :D

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Who said anything about 60fps, your not one of those "i can't play games at less than 60fps as its a slideshow, jerkathon" brigade are you. :(
No, not really, but FPS particularly feel a lot better above 60. Obviously its down to personal preference, but after having a quick bash on my mates pc which averages at 40fps on HL2.... I defo prefer my rig which is locked at 60fps.
Anyways.... you can direct this thread in any way you want, but the bottom line is, a statement such as "they are going to run the same games maxed out just like our cards can" is wrong... as maxed out should be just that -> games with all eye candy set to max, and I think the next gen will still struggle slightly with stuff like full HDR with AA, so your cards defo cant.

So erm, yeah :p

Associate
lol ive allways paid money to these guys because when ever ive had a problem they allways sorted me out. Ive got the money otherwise i wouldnt of paid it any way neva mind

Back
Top Bottom