1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

7900 bump down ati prices?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by 00fil00, 20 Feb 2006.

1. 00fil00

Associate

will the release of the 7900 series knock pounds off the x1900xtx? or will it not effect it at all? 50/50 on buying the £370 powercolour xtx now or waiting for 7900 when the offer will have stopped. i have sli mobo.

2. D.P.

Caporegime

Depends on lots of things:
    performance and price of the 7900 models
    Production cost/yeilds/margins on the X1900 cards
    ATI's future card release dates
    AIB's costs and pricing.

There are rumours going around that the 7900 will undercut the X1900 (current) price structure. This will likely force ATI to lower prices but is no guarantee.

3. ACESHIGH

Mobster

Unlikely i would say, buy while the goings good.

Gibbo (who works for OcUK) suggested ATI believe their cards are priced too low & likely prices will actually increase, Especially considering conversion rates to US dollars. Gibbo has stated their current ATI cards are priced cheap as they got them at a better conversion rate than is possible now & as such its likely that the next batch wont be so cheap. Take that info as you will.

But Now looks like a good time to buy, imo.

See here ... http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17535924
    RE : Connect3d X1900XT-X why so cheap

Last edited: 20 Feb 2006
  4. 00fil00

Associate

i doubt they will put up prices on the eve of nvidias release. expecially since nvidia plan to beat atis price.

5. mmj_uk

Capodecina

makes you want to buy one before the price rises doesn't it. ;)

6. 00fil00

Associate

yes, some people take us for mugs. if your in the market for x1900 - you know your sh**

7. ACESHIGH

Mobster

yes but thats retail prices thats being talked about. thats always different to actual sale prices (which are almost always lower).

8. ACESHIGH

Mobster

For those who doubted what i posted above .. more proof ...

from a post Gibbo made just now... see here ..
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17539147

Now do i get an apology ?

9. 00fil00

Associate

"as the prices are definetely increasing, no doubt to around the £350-£400+VAT area for an XT-X....." = thats what they are now! thats not an increase. prices always fall. and of course gibbo is going to tell the guy to sell his 7800gtx on ebay and come back to ocers for a shiny new £400 xtx.

10. AWPC

Sgarrista

If the inquirer.net story is on the mark (and they are more often than not) then the 7900 is not gonna be an X1900 killer so prices will probably go up more to reflect the market leader status corporate execs just love to wallow in.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29795

11. Gibbo

Commissario

OcUK is not £350 - £400+VAT for an XT-X though................

OcUK is £320 - £350 +VAT for XT-X's. :)

My advice is good advice and yes it means OcUK gets an extra sale too, but everyone is happy all round. :)

12. 00fil00

Associate

naw, the 7900 isnt an x1900 killer so it is going to be released at a lower price than x1900, ati will have to lower its prices before everyone buys a 7900. my opinion but we will see ;)

13. malccy

Wise Guy

No way in my opinion is the 7900 gonna be cheaper than the x1900; Nvidia never make there newer models cheaper than their last and it would also mean that the mid-range prices would be affected and thus be like shooting thmselves in the foot.

14. BigDom

Wise Guy

Agreed especially as they show no sign of making 7800's cheaper.

15. AWPC

Sgarrista

Well if it is cheaper I'd be amazed as the X1900 are already good VFM. 7900 is replacing the entire 7800 series so perhaps that is Nvidias ploy to undermine ATI by offering lower priced but better featured mid range 7900 cards. The higher end models apparently represent a tiny %wise of their overall business.

Time will tell.

16. 00fil00

Associate

nvidia has already said because they cannot beat the x1900xtx this time round they will have to make the price lower than it to offer anything at all. this is what i heard so it cant be guaranteed but it makes sense since the inquirer newspaper has found out they are having to drop the clocks to 650mhz due to issues.

17. 00fil00

Associate

oh look not weeks after i tell everyone prices will not go up and that this is just a ruse to the gullible- the ATI price cuts are on the horizon. Yes, i laugh at all those who believed the "prices are going up! buy them while you can!" from ocers. At most they would have gone up for a month. technology ages, it doesnt go up in price. new prices will be x1900xtx £320. with or without VAT im not sure.

18. fullfat

Wise Guy

i cant see ati's prices coming down to be honest, they obviously think their product is better so why should they lower there price to try and compete in a market theyve lost loads on over the past 12 months with the 7800 series owning everything they could muster.
    the x1900xtx is top of the tree now so theyre not going to let that slip are they or reduce the price of it either imo.

19. 00fil00

Associate

because nvidia will be selling 7900s cheap. would you rather lose out on say 10fps (madeup figure) for £100? no you would just buy the cheaper 7900 and save money, even overclock to get back the 10fps. ATI will lose money if they dont cut prices no matter if they are best or not, the majority of people care more about money than small increases in performance. id say 80%-90% of people buy 1 generation behind the top because of the massive prices, that means 7900 if alot cheaper will dominate. ATI must come down not up.

20. dEl_fUEGo

Associate

Check it out - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91238

Seems as though we should be seeing cheaper prices very soon. If OcUK dont follow suit (and i cant see how they wont) then buy your XTX's from someone on ebay who will send you the item marked as a gift (and there are lots of people willing to do that too).