• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900 series performance over 7800 series

Soldato
D.P.

we all can pick quotes from reviews we want to highlight, 2 pages on from your pasted quote they said this

The new Radeon X1K family of graphics cards offers another "high quality" anisotropic mode, that doesn't have the same angular dependency as ATI's previous generation of cards. The new high-quality aniso mode offered by the X1K Family, applies nearly the same level of filtering regardless of the angle. Overall, the effect of enabling ATI's high-quality aniso mode is positive, as it does an even better job of sharpening texture and increasing the detail level. The fully appreciate ATI's high-quality aniso mode though, you've got to see it in action. Still screen shots don't convey the full effect. If you focus on the furthest part of the road, and on the hill though, you can see some areas where HQ aniso does a better job than NVIDIA.

We can all pick out the good parts we want people to see
now read the full page

When perusing the images above, pay special attention to the road and the hill to the lower right, as these areas are where anisotropic filtering has the most impact. In the "No Aniso" shots at the top, which have only trilinear filtering enabled, the blurring in the road and on the hill is clearly evident.

However, with 8X anisotropic filtering enabled, the detail in the road is dramatically enhanced. If you open each of the standard shots individually and skip through them quickly, you're likely to notice a bit more detail in the shots taken with the GeForce 7800 GTX versus those taken with the Radeon using its standard angular dependant anisotropic filtering mode, disregarding artifacts produced by the JPG compression.

The same seemed to be true when inspecting the 16x aniso images. Of course, image quality analysis is objective by its nature, but based on these images, we think the GeForce 7800 GTX has the better image quality as it relates to anisotropic filtering when standard "optimized" aniso is used, by a small margin. The new Radeon X1K family of graphics cards offers another "high quality" anisotropic mode, that doesn't have the same angular dependency as ATI's previous generation of cards. The new high-quality aniso mode offered by the X1K Family, applies nearly the same level of filtering regardless of the angle. Overall, the effect of enabling ATI's high-quality aniso mode is positive, as it does an even better job of sharpening texture and increasing the detail level. The fully appreciate ATI's high-quality aniso mode though, you've got to see it in action. Still screen shots don't convey the full effect. If you focus on the furthest part of the road, and on the hill though, you can see some areas where HQ aniso does a better job than NVIDIA.

with cut or paste anybody can make almost anything they want seem right to their veiw
I not on anyone camp i had 2 gf's and 2 ati's the next card i get will be the best for the price and get over it that the 7900 not the card you thought/wished it was.
Q

Soldato
Egt read hardocp reveiw like Goksly posted, yes i think 7900 is a bit faster in most games but not the amount to worry about,i am more intrested in 7600 i think it will be a great card,wating to see what best between 7600 ad 1800gto.

edit i more likey get a 7600gt or 1800gto

Q

Last edited:
Soldato
Be happy that you got 2 good companys after your money not like Creative and pc sound how far has that come in the last 5 years?

Q

Soldato
The benches i seen 7800 stands up well against 7900 not many would have said it would have done so well against 7900 before hand but maybe i am wrong.

Q

egt

egt

Associate
smids said:
egt, do nV actually pay you? If not, then why do you persist? One game cannot prove anything astoundingly - nor does any user opinion - it's entirely subjective.

Lol. After seeing the 7900GTX benches I was actually considering buying an x1900xt because of it's great performance and cheaper price. But,tbh, IQ is the most important thing when it comes to buying high end cards for me. It doesn't mean squat to me if ppl claim that ati has better IQ, i'm amazed ppl fall for that with so little evidence around!. I know that those screen comparisons are only in 1 game, but you've got to admit, those ati screens look very ropey. There's also many ppl complaining about shimmering with the x1900's on Rage 3d...an ati fan site!

Prove that ati genuinely has better IQ than Nvidia and i'll happily buy the x1900 :)

Soldato
egt said:
Lol. After seeing the 7900GTX benches I was actually considering buying an x1900xt because of it's great performance and cheaper price. But,tbh, IQ is the most important thing when it comes to buying high end cards for me. It doesn't mean squat to me if ppl claim that ati has better IQ, i'm amazed ppl fall for that with so little evidence around!. I know that those screen comparisons are only in 1 game, but you've got to admit, those ati screens look very ropey. There's also many ppl complaining about shimmering with the x1900's on Rage 3d...an ati fan site!

Prove that ati genuinely has better IQ than Nvidia and i'll happily buy the x1900 :)
Read my post - I can't. No-one can. Only you can make that assessment based on your views and your hardware.

Soldato
At the end of the day even if anyone did prove that a 7900 has slightly better IQ that an X1900 then it will more than likely have a fix via a new driver. ATI over the past 3 generations have proven to have superior IQ in almost all situations, to me that says something.

I am hoping that this 7900GT is going to go hell for leather and beat the pants of a stock 7900GTX, if it does then it was £241 very well spent, and if the IQ is better bonus.

Caporegime
Journey said:
I am hoping that this 7900GT is going to go hell for leather and beat the pants of a stock 7900GTX, if it does then it was £241 very well spent, and if the IQ is better bonus.

Waiting with baited breath for your findings

Last edited:
Associate
nvidia have to allways go one better. They will allways bring a card out just better than ati because they get the top end of the market where they make most money. All they got to do when ati bring out the next card is bring out a so called new card witch is normaly a over clocked version of a older card or put new memory on it or summot like that.

To me the new 7900 dont seem worth the upgrade when all games can be run on now days cards and with g80 around the end of the year that more worth it

Back
Top Bottom