• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900GTX overheat problem!

Soldato
Can't post a URL they maybe a direct competitor, but...

Go to the 3M website.

Go to the UK site.

Type in 5506, click the product link.

Consists of a highly conformable, slightly tacky silicone-elastomer sheet filled with thermally conductive ceramic particles and supported by protective release liners on both sides. It is designed to provide a preferential heat-transfer path between heat-generating IC packages and heat sinks or other cooling devices (e.g., fans or heat pipes). Their specialized silicone chemistry renders them extremely soft and compliant, allowing them to conform intimately to non-flat substrates, even at moderate pressures.

2mm thermal conductive pad. They have a 250 mm x 120 mm sample sheet.

3M Id : 70-0062-9101-0
GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 0 00 21200 49310 2

Now all you have to do is ask them for the sample :D

Know any Engineering firms or contacts?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hi again

I tried the as adhesive diluted with some as5. nothing got better! I tried 3dmark06 again with 4aa/16af and the test crashed big time with terrible artifacts. so I decided to put back the original stock cooler and try all over again. unfortunatelly the problems persisted. I called the store and I will return the card tomorrow. now I am again in the same dilemma x1900xt vs 7900gtx, although I have some fear of the last...

Caporegime
yannis76 said:
hi again

I tried the as adhesive diluted with some as5. nothing got better! I tried 3dmark06 again with 4aa/16af and the test crashed big time with terrible artifacts. so I decided to put back the original stock cooler and try all over again. unfortunatelly the problems persisted. I called the store and I will return the card tomorrow. now I am again in the same dilemma x1900xt vs 7900gtx, although I have some fear of the last...

why have you fear of the last 7900 GTX?You made a mistake messing with the fantastic stock cooler.

Dont blame the card blame yourself ;) :p

Soldato
Yeah I have to agree, no way in the world will a x1900xt run as low as a 7900gtx temp wise, I think you havent put your cooler on properly.

Associate
OP
guys there is only one way to put the stock cooler! Furthermore the problems didnt start from the very beginning. I was able to play Quake4 in ultra quality for about 1 hour when it started to produce random artifacts. Then it couldn't finish 3dmark with AA/AF. When I also checked some other posts in nvnews, I found out that this is a common problem with all the 7900gtx and many other people have experienced it. Some of them had even a faulty replacement! That's why I am afraid of the 7900gtx.

Caporegime
yannis76 said:
I found out that this is a common problem with all the 7900gtx and many other people have experienced it. Some of them had even a faulty replacement! That's why I am afraid of the 7900gtx.

I'm sorry but that information is just plain inaccurate.
I have been running my 7900 GTX with no problems at all overclocked.

Along with many others.

Seems to me that you ran into problems when you badly installed the vf900.

Pure and simple

Soldato
There is a lot of different ways of fitting a cooler, the amount of termal compoud you use, how tight you put it on etc.
All cards seem to have some problem so it doesnt surprise me the 7900gtx's have trouble, but if you want a x1900xt then get one it seems to be your already decided, RMA your current one and get a x1900xt.

Back
Top Bottom