• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950 crossfire still a good idea?

Associate
Hi Guys,

I got a pair of new 7950's for a crossfire setup for about £350 quid, after seeing how much the new rebranded 7970's (R9-280X) were going to cost. The cards are still unopened and can be returned if I come up with a better idea (or more money!).

I will be upgrading to a Haswell 4770k at the same time, if this helps.

Is my plan a reasonable one? GTX 770 SLI doesn't have enough ram for gaming at 5760 x 1080 and a pair of GTX 780's or R9-290's is beyond my budget.

Thanks in advance guys.:)

Soldato
7950s in Crossfire will be excellent. TBH I don't think you could do much better with your money as you missed the 7990s for £400 and just under.

You've pretty much confirmed that by saying that you can't afford the next logical step up which is 290 or 780 CFX/SLI.

Associate
OP
Thanks Andy, that's very helpful advice and confirms what I was thinking. I know the power consumption is going to be way up on a GTX780 or R9-290X, but it seems to be a faster setup than these cards.

It seems that the forum is inundated with 7950 crossfire queries at the moment. I know not every game scales well with a dual GPU setup, but the new cards are so expensive....:(

Back
Top Bottom