• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950 gx2 not impressed.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
The beauty of SI units is that all the equations will work out in the end. You can use P=IV to get power rating and no matter what wattages you get they be the same as if you calculated them with any other method.

lol i know that!

my point is that a PSU thats rated at say 600W, may only be able to sustain a much lower current on a particular rail, than another supply rated at the same 600W.

basically its the psu's ability to supply CONSTANT current on any rail that is important - not the quoted "wattage" of the psu......

If the PSU says it's good for 29A on 12v+, then you should be able to draw 348W from that all day long without causing a failure.

if a psu claims 29A on the 12V rail then that's what I expect you to get - I'm not debating that fact!!

Man of Honour
Soldato
What are the Watt ratings for each voltage level for the Q-Tec 650W? It's not listed on the Q-Tec web site nor anywhere else I can find. Similarly, I cannot find a clear enough photo of the ratings on the side of the PSU itself.

Judging from Google images there's only been one photo ever taken of the little gold beast. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, PSU Goes FIZZZZ and there is a nasty smell, then you install a new psu and the pc wont work !

Fried components are not fun, takes ages to find which ones are dead,

Everyone seems to think " It wont happen to mine " but it WILL :)

Soldato
Thats because QTec PSUs are rated for peak load, rather than continuous load.

Its the same thing you see with PC Speakers V HiFi Speakers. Comparing 100 watts RMS at 0.001% distortion and 1000watts Peak Music Power Output at 10% distortion. (Work out which is hifi, and which is typical PC speaker marketing)

I wouldnt let a Qtec powered PC even enter my house :D

Associate
johnskey said:
WELL! the powersupply is an 'antrix' 500T :confused:

Suppose that could be the downfall.. lol

Lol, never heard about it before. :p

Could be worth a swap? Anyhow, do you have vertical sync on? I know I have to, or else the picture is tearing and gets all chopped up(primarily for lcd screens).

Associate
OP
sablabra said:
Lol, never heard about it before. :p

Could be worth a swap? Anyhow, do you have vertical sync on? I know I have to, or else the picture is tearing and gets all chopped up(primarily for lcd screens).

Nah vsync's not on. :)

I think ill have to wait untill payday and splash out on a new psu :o

-edit- Any suggestions on a PSU, anybody?

Last edited:
Associate
I think COD2 has problems with dual core CPU's, goto task manager and force it to run single core (forgotten the specifics, maybe a program to handle that), try the new 1.3 patch.
Also try other games or 3dmark.

Associate
lay-z-boy said:
tagan :)

and you dont need a 650w psu unless your trying to power a football pitch.

I'd reccomend a new psu, indeed. My absolute favorite psu is mist 500w, but I'm sure none of you've never heard of it :p

Associate
Enermax ***..

Whoever mentioned the issue about COD2 and dual cores has a point, I've heard of several people complaining about crap performance with their brand new €2000+ system.
There's various patches available, so you may want to check that before splashing out on a new (coughEnermaxcough) PSU.

:p

Associate
No doubt about which PSU these days.

The best are "PC Power & Cooling" even the 510w Deluxe will outperform almost every other PSU. These are gtee'd for life and will never let you down!

Failing that The next best thing is the OCZ Powerstream PSU range. Go for the 600w... for the first time ever you will KNOW that what ever is letting your system down, WONT be the PSU!

I have had both PSU's and to be honest, Id go for the OCZ, Im very happy with mine. It runs:

Waterpump
3 x 120mm fans
6 x 80mm fans
X2 @ 2.8ghz
3 HD's
1 DVD
2GB RAM
7800 GTX

It has adjustable pots too so you can tweak your output to give higher / adjustable out puts!

DO IT! :)

Associate
Cashman said:
No doubt about which PSU these days.

The best are "PC Power & Cooling" even the 510w Deluxe will outperform almost every other PSU. These are gtee'd for life and will never let you down!

Failing that The next best thing is the OCZ Powerstream PSU range. Go for the 600w... for the first time ever you will KNOW that what ever is letting your system down, WONT be the PSU!

I have had both PSU's and to be honest, Id go for the OCZ, Im very happy with mine. It runs:

Waterpump
3 x 120mm fans
6 x 80mm fans
X2 @ 2.8ghz
3 HD's
1 DVD
2GB RAM
7800 GTX

It has adjustable pots too so you can tweak your output to give higher / adjustable out puts!

DO IT! :)

They only have a 5 Year warranty, not lifetime. They are however the best PSU you can buy (if you can afford one). My PP&C Turbo Cool 510 SLI isvery good, only downside is its a tad noisey. Shame OCUK don't stock them.

Associate
The new Tagan's are pretty good for the price in comparison to the PCP supplies. The initial batch had a start up issue, which has now been fixed. I have the 900w version, it's fairly quiet, a little noisier than thr Seasonic S12 600w..

regards
Raja

Back
Top Bottom