• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950 gx2 not impressed.

Associate
Eliot said:
oh good god, its not that vsync (steals) your fps, it limits it at 72 so its is constant, this why you have a better picture, and there is no way anyone can notice the diff between 200fps and 72fps. not gonna happen

Vsync does steal a lot of fps! Although it does limit to 60fps for me, that's not the problem. The fps is dropping a lot more, but he should have enough power with the 7950 gx2 anyhow... The IQ is a lot better though! :D

Soldato
Bernard said:
I always thought V-sync limited the fps to the refresh rate of your monitor?

It does, but as a previous poster pointed out, if your gfx card can't put out the refresh rate in a particular scene, then it will only put out half the refresh.

e.g. refresh is 100Hz. You move into a section of the game where your gfx card can only do 80fps. Your frame rate drops to 50fps.

Vsync for the lose!

And for the person who said that no-one can tell the difference between 72 and 200 fps, that depends on the person, but I would be surprised if anyone couldn't tell the difference.

100fps+ 4tw!

Man of Honour
Andy Pandy said:
when ever u lot talk about qtecs i get very scared. i have a q tec 650 triple fan and its fine. But when i hear about them going pop and everyone saying avoid them like the plague i pray that mine never dies.
It will die. That is not a matter of if. It's a matter of when.

Maybe when it fails it won't damage anything else. I was converted from cheap PSUs when one failed and took out the motherboard. Fortunately, the motherboard failed in a much more restrained way and nothing else was damaged. I then paid £70 for a PSU instead of £20, but the difference is either minimal over the working life of the PSU or cheaper (due to not having to replace the PSU and possibly other components). Cheap PSUs are a false economy, IMO. On top of that, they are noisy, prone to providing unstable voltages, prone to significant voltage drops under load, etc. As for the power output, those Q-Tec 650W triple fans will probably blow up if you forced them to supply 400W, let alone 650W. As for fans, the Q-Tec triple fan is a triumph of marketing to ignorance. They'll conflict with each other and reduce airflow.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Eliot said:
oh good god, its not that vsync (steals) your fps, it limits it at 72 so its is constant, this why you have a better picture, and there is no way anyone can notice the diff between 200fps and 72fps. not gonna happen
It is possible for humans to detect an object displayed on a screen for 1/220th of a second and identify it. That has been proven by experiment. The human visual system is remarkably versatile.

In a game, though, I don't think it would matter.

Associate
Angilion said:
Only in a benchmarking sense.

Those "stolen" frames are never displayed anyway, so it doesn't matter if they aren't displayed, does it? Vsync on or off, they aren't displayed either way.

Yes, you will notice difference while gaming. Try it for yourself. But I can't stand the choppy tearing so I'm using vsync on anyhow. But I can't believe how reluctant this guys is for trying Vsync... There's no hope left for the thread starter :D

Soldato
Angilion said:
Only in a benchmarking sense.

Those "stolen" frames are never displayed anyway, so it doesn't matter if they aren't displayed, does it? Vsync on or off, they aren't displayed either way.

Read my post. When Vsync is off, every frame gets displayed, but only partially. I'm running a CRT and the tearing has never bothered me. At least not as much as the scenario outlined in my previous post.

Associate
when ever i try and put a new piece of kit in my computer it stops me lol. All the connectors to things have like glue all around it and i cant take it out. Thought about taking a knife to it but that sounds a bad idea. Knowing my luck the psu would be welded to all the cables.

Soldato
all depends on what game it is and if it has a developer console.

eg, css / hl2
you need to enable developer console from the ingame option (keyboard - advanced i think)

then hit the ` key and type in

fps_max 85

85 being your refresh rate. the game will now lock your fps at your refresh rate but wont half the fps in demanding situations.

Man of Honour
Andy Pandy said:
when ever i try and put a new piece of kit in my computer it stops me lol. All the connectors to things have like glue all around it and i cant take it out. Thought about taking a knife to it but that sounds a bad idea. Knowing my luck the psu would be welded to all the cables.

The cables are attached to the PSU (except for a few more expensive PSUs in which some of the cables are detachable at the PSU end and the other end as well). You need to trace the cables from the PSU to the other end and detach them from the other piece of kit. You'll probably have two connectors to the motherboard (one little square one and one much longer one), one to each drive and possibly one or two to fans. Probably one to your graphics card too. The PSU itself just rests on a supporting frame inside the case and is screwed into place, usually with 4 screws at the back. As long as you remember to disconnect the PC from the mains first, you shouldn't have any problems.

If the glue is at the other end of the cables, where they connect into the motherboard, etc:

Did you buy the PC pre-built, probably posted to you? Some companies do that to prevent components working loose in transit.

If it is just a matter of the connectors being lightly glued in for transit, you could remove the glue with a sharp knife if you are careful. It's sort of like an archeologist removing the compacted soil from around an old buried piece of pottery or something - with care, you can remove the surrounding material (glue, soil) without damaging the harder item inside (connector, pottery). It's a delicate job, though.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem with vsync is only noticeable on LCD's. Due to their nature you are limited to either 60 or 75fps, and with vsync enabled to try and stop tearing, the framerate will have when it takes a dip below 60 or 75fps. Very very noticeable if you ask me. One way to relieve it slightly is to turn on tripple buffering.

Permabanned
TaKeN said:
" Triple " Meaning you get warned about the thing three times before SHE BLOWS ? :p

boom3.gif

:D

Back
Top Bottom