8 Pack "shower head" watercooling

Soldato
Ferrari don't plaster their F1 drivers' names and images all over their cars and associated branding and PR. They do the opposite. The latter is a promotion of their general brand. The actual products people buy are completely bereft of 'celebrity'.

I think you'll find the car is named after the man that created the cars. If that isn't advertising a person I don't know what is. There is even the "Enzo" and the "Dino". There is a whole history associated with the man that's the draw. His rivalry with Lamborghini, the glamour of the cars he created. Then you have Armani, Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs I think their products displaying their name is what sells their products. Your generic products like Cif might have no one associated with them but who gets excited about buying cleaning products? :)

Associate
I think you'll find the car is named after the man that created the cars. If that isn't advertising a person I don't know what is. There is even the "Enzo" and the "Dino". There is a whole history associated with the man that's the draw.

You do realise that those people are long, long dead. Dino died over 60 years ago. Enzo 30 years ago. They're just Italian names to most buyers or potential buyers.

Also, are you seriously comparing 8Pack's brand, cachet etc to everything you just mentioned? Even within overclocking? Seriously?

Furthermore, the fashion houses brand virtually nothing of the more expensive stuff. Unless it's low end stuff or chavvy monogrammed LV or Hermés. It's seen as extremely undesirable to have a name on the clothing.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
So, since I already have a motherboard and a i9 9900K, will the X3 be sold only with systems build by caseking and OCUK (that's what I heard at least from Computex) or will there be a stand-alone limited quantity for premium price? I wonder if I may need to send my motherboard+cpu already delided if i want that X3....

X3 only available fitted by OCUK or partners.... Not sure if this will be available to retrofit on old hardware or reserved for new kit only.........

Soldato
You do realise that those people are long, long dead. Dino died over 60 years ago. Enzo 30 years ago. They're just Italian names to most buyers or potential buyers.

Also, are you seriously comparing 8Pack's brand, cachet etc to everything you just mentioned? Even within overclocking? Seriously?

Furthermore, the fashion houses brand virtually nothing of the more expensive stuff. Unless it's low end stuff or chavvy monogrammed LV or Hermés. It's seen as extremely undesirable to have a name on the clothing.

Just in case you hadn't realised 8 Pack isn't his real name ;) (Just to avoid a flame war, that was a joke) Reputation sells though, 8Pack does know his stuff.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure my old Switftech had something similar where you chose the shim you wanted and it changed how the water then hit the CPU blocks various parts. Still its good to re-use these things if they work.

Yes and no, from what I can gather from the video (which er is pretty er hard er going to er watch er), current blocks use a single slot in the middle and symmetric fins, it sounds like nexalus are using more than one slot on the shim and asymmetric shaped fins to improve cooling performance, he also seemed to be saying that cooling performance scaled with water pressure, where as most current CPU blocks as long as the water pressure is "enough" you don't really get any imrpovement in cooling past a certain point.

Its no revolutionary, but it does sound like an evolution that no one else had done yet - but then it also doesn't sound like something they could have patented so other CPU block manufacturers will probably copy this if it works.

But yes, if this came as an unbranded version I would be interested in buying, if it has a great big "8pack" logo slapped all over it then not so much.

OcUK Staff
Gamers Nexus has a more detailed Video of all the concepts in the cooling design which I could talk about on camera. Better explanation I think than KG.

The design language for the Aesthetics of the blocks is coming along very well.... Still needs some tweaking though.

Last edited:
Associate
Nice its cooling the cpu down a few degrees extra but the loop will still run above ambient temp. I would love to see a chiller type radiator where you can dial in a temp and it would cool to that no matter what temp the cpu/gpu get to.

Soldato
Nice its cooling the cpu down a few degrees extra but the loop will still run above ambient temp. I would love to see a chiller type radiator where you can dial in a temp and it would cool to that no matter what temp the cpu/gpu get to.
Phase change cooling was a thing, but fell out of popularity. There were even a couple of ready made/AIO type devices. Same mechanism as a fridge uses.

Associate
I know about the Phase coolers but they just make the cpu far too cold and then you have to worry about condensation etc, Just cool down maybe an external rad so you can chill the water to ambient or 1 or 2 degrees below, I did a quick experiment couple of years ago when i put pc by the kitchen sink and put the rad under a running cold tap and got pretty good results, not really practical tho for 24/7 use lol. And the mrs was out so got away with it

Associate
IMO once the higher binned parts are out (and presumably process improvements and MB BIOS & chipset drivers come too), there will be some more OC gains to be had.

From the look of temperatures, the layout, and the known density, Ryzen will absolutely need a distinct block / fin layout to suit its needs best. Is that what is being done here?

Also, I expect direct die cooling to yield significant results, at least wrt temperature. Again, any plans to facilitate that with frames to add on to the blocks for Ryzen (or TR4) 3xxx?

Soldato
@8 Pack Make one super sexy and shiny. Either big ol chunk of nickel or an interesting plexi top, then send it to me to test it on my new build ;)
When are we expecting availability on the x2 AM4 parts?

Associate
Our aim is now that x1 ie the cheapest version beats all perseived competitions best offering in performance.

All perceived competition, rather than all competition?

Colour me sceptical, but isn't that just a way of saying "we're not going to acknowledge competitors that beat us" - as is usually the case in this industry and many others.

Back
Top Bottom