1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8000 fun car

Discussion in 'Motors' started by hogfather, 7 Feb 2006.

1. hogfather

Mobster

Hi chaps,

My dad wants a fun car to replace his xsara picasso, he originally wanted an old MX 5 but isnt so sure now.

The buidget is 8000 quid, mx 5 ish cars, something small, fairly impractical and quick. MIDLIFE CRISIS ACKNOWLEDGED :p

I was thinking a Mk2 Golf GTI could be good fun?

2. Morba

Caporegime

whats the chances of a elise for that money?

3. Scottland

Capodecina

You can get one, but how gooder one it would be I've no idea.

4. eidolon

Capodecina

For 8k he's got the choice of plenty of fun cars, all depends on what he wants really. The MX5 would fit the bill perfectly as it's great fun, even at legal speeds. If he wants something quicker but still fun then an MR2 turbo would do the job :)

5. Bug One

Capodecina

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Roadster
    [​IMG]
    59,000 miles, R reg, metallic black with black leather.Electric hood, seat and window, cd, ac and alloys. Brand New Rear Tyres and Clutch!. £7,995

1993 K Reg MARCOS MARTINA SPYDER 2.1 L. Ford Tuned Engine, 5 Speed Gearbox
    [​IMG]
    2,500 miles, Dark Blue Metallic paintwork. Beige Fitted Carpets, Elm veneer dash with black instruments, Heated Front Screen, Light tan leather interior, Stereo System. Elecric Windows, Black Hood, Recent suspension polybushes, 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels. This car is very well presented, it's fast, looks great and sounds wonderful. £8,995.

N Reg TVR Chimaera 4.0 Convertible
    [​IMG]
    Finished in beautifull starmist blue metallic with contrasting cream and blue leather. New blue hood. Electric windows, electric mirrors, cd player, remote alarm immobiliser and alloys. Only 43,000 miles complimented by a full service history and old mot's. A magnificent example of this thoroughbred sports car. Viewing essential. BEST PRICES PAID FOR PART EXCHANGES. Warranty available. Open 7 days. £8,695.

6. Bug One

Capodecina

Plenty on autotrader.

7. benjo

Capodecina

[​IMG]

8. hogfather

Mobster

ye gads!

A tvr :eek:

probably break a lot though?

9. rare

Soldato

:D

10. Bug One

Capodecina

Yer, but thats a proper mid life crisis motor. Not some girly 2 seater that can barely break a wheelspin. :p

(awaits flamage)

11. danza

Capodecina

TVR 4TW!!! Do it properly! It'd make an ideal "Mid Life Cruiser" for your Dad. You can't have him buy something sensible.

12. saitrix

Sgarrista

Maybe a VX220? Not 100% sure on the price they go for now though.

13. eidolon

Capodecina

You'll not get a VX220 for £8k, the cheapest NA I've seen was £10k although I did see a totally knackered, damaged repaired one for £9k a few weeks back but it looked like a bit of a shed.

14. olv

Soldato

Lotus 7 inspired kit car, Caterham, Westfield, MNR, MK etc...

Easily get something faster than everything is this thread for that budget. ONe of the finest handling cars, open top, suitably impractical.

That'd be my choice.

15. Del Lardo

Wise Guy

You may get lucky and pick up a S1 Elise for that money though to buy a good one you really need to spend around £10k

16. hogfather

Mobster

Cheers lads!

Elises, 7s and vx220s are possible a little extreme! The Z3 looks like anice price range, get a lot more for your money than the equivelent Mazda. Plus RWD and a wide range of engines. I suggested an rx7, but by god they're a bit quick! Plus he wants a drop top.

17. saitrix

Sgarrista

Well you did ask for small, impractical and cheap which shouts out those cars. I would say a Mk2 MR-2 then failing the Elise/VX220 and 7's. One thing though is you will get a nice 1.8 MX-5 for that price though.

Also just on a side note the vx220, elise and 7's all can come in soft top form. The Mk2 MR-2 has the T-Bar which is close to a soft top.