85 year old woman mauled to death in her own garden

Associate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-56624119

Genuinly shocking, what an aweful way to go. Full details yet to emerge, but likely minding her own business in her own garden, only to be repeatedly attacked by two dogs who went on to kill her. I can't imagine the pain and fear she must have experienced.

The dogs are apparently of a 'large' size and being tested for beed - my money is almost certainly on a breed that's illegal to own in the UK. And if so, it's owner should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

RIP and sympathies to the family and friends involed :(

Caporegime
Presumably some sort of bull terrier breed. We could get rid of that in a generation tbh... Just require all bull terrier types are neutered and ban people from breeding them. Get rid of the is it isn’t it a pit bull stuff... just make the ban broader.

It doesn’t need involve affecting anyone’s existing dog beyond neutering them, shouldn’t be a threat to any owners who are adamant their staffy/whatever cross is super gentle “They’re called nanny dogs don’t you know” etc... just means that in 10 years there basically won’t be any of them left. Future dogs post ban could be confiscated if everyone has fair warning, the few that are left could be reported to the police etc...

In b4 someone makes an irrelevant claim of some tiny breed being more “aggressive” while totally missing the point that an “aggressive” dog the size of a rat isn’t going to kill someone and can be easily booted by most.

Soldato
There should be some kind of animal phone number that people can call these days if they see an animal wandering around without its owner.

I used to be scared of dogs when I was younger, partly because of stray dogs unpredictable temperament.

Soldato
Horrific :(.

Although there's always a chance that any dog of any breed however nice could potentially attack someone if they get triggered in just the wrong way, worth remembering that in general dog behaviour is based on how they've been trained and treated by their owner. Therefore suspect owner is a horrible person and hope he goes to prison.

Edit: Birmingham mail article has this:
The couple also claimed the dogs, which are still to be DNA tested to identify their breeds, were kept 'inside a shed and were never taken out of the garden'.

They added: “They were always kept inside a shed. They never left the garden.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/they-went-wild-shocked-residents-20315514
Think that answers how they were treated by the owner and what kind of dog he wanted them to be :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Presumably some sort of bull terrier breed. We could get rid of that in a generation tbh... Just require all bull terrier types are neutered and ban people from breeding them. Get rid of the is it isn’t it a pit bull stuff... just make the ban broader.

It doesn’t need involve affecting anyone’s existing dog beyond neutering them, shouldn’t be a threat to any owners who are adamant their staffy/whatever cross is super gentle “They’re called nanny dogs don’t you know” etc... just means that in 10 years there basically won’t be any of them left. Future dogs post ban could be confiscated if everyone has fair warning, the few that are left could be reported to the police etc...

In b4 someone makes an irrelevant claim of some tiny breed being more “aggressive” while totally missing the point that an “aggressive” dog the size of a rat isn’t going to kill someone and can be easily booted by most.

I think another large breed would become the choice instead and you'd just get the same problem with them.

Soldato
At this point does the breed matter? He should be prosecuted for manslaughter at the very least.

I'd argue it does.

While this might be a case of a terrible owner raising violent and uncontrolled animals, if it's not or it isn't the only reason and they are banned breeds? Some breeds are prone to violence more than others, they're bred to be so for whatever reason. The two dogs that killed the poor woman had to come from somewhere, hopefully if nothing else the police will be able to trace this and take care of the breeders and other potentially dangerous animals.

My heart goes out to the family, you expect to lose family at that age but not in such a horrific way.

Soldato

So your answer is just a quick genocide?

Read the whole article - if you keep two large dogs in a shed together and never let them leave the garden, should you be surprised they turn into psychos?

GSDs used to be considered aggressive dangerous dogs, now they're not. It's not the dog. It's the owner and the training.

Caporegime

Utter rubbish. Dog attacks come from many different breeds, wiping one out won’t solve a thing, you’ll just destroy a breed that the vast majority of are absolutely fine.

What rubbish to spew.

Associate
OP
So your answer is just a quick genocide?

Read the whole article - if you keep two large dogs in a shed together and never let them leave the garden, should you be surprised they turn into psychos?

GSDs used to be considered aggressive dangerous dogs, now they're not. It's not the dog. It's the owner and the training.
He's literally said it doesn't need to affect anyone's current dog, instead to start phasing dangerous breeds out by not allowing them to breed any more. Not sure you entirely understand what genocide means...

Soldato

Sometimes it is the dog.

https://www.askadamskutner.com/dog-bites/bite-statistics-according-to-dog-breed/

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2019.php

fatal-dog-bites-by-breed.png

If you're not keen on the source I've seen similar elsewhere from multiple sources.

Most of the time a violent or dangerous dog is the result of a poor owner, especially when said dogs are more energetic and on the larger side. I've been around many German Shepherds and English Mastiffs for example, my grandfather used to train German Shepherds for security/police work. Amazing animals when brought up properly by the right people. I would blame the owner 95% of the time for almost any animal on that list.

I'm not saying this is a case of a violent breed, but it is possible, and some animals are predisposed to be unpredictable no matter the owner, especially when Pit Bulls or crosses involving them are in question.

Permabanned
Because most Chavs have the top dog in that chart so again not my choice of dog (or staffies) but the owners can be a lot to do with it.

Caporegime
He's literally said it doesn't need to affect anyone's current dog, instead to start phasing dangerous breeds out by not allowing them to breed any more. Not sure you entirely understand what genocide means...
All you’d do is send the breeding underground, which is even more dangerous.

I can’t stand this clamour to wipe out staffies. A purebred well adjusted staffie is an amazing dog. I have been round hundreds and never had an ounce of aggression from one. I don’t object to a licensing system, but thoroughly object to wiping out one particular breed.

Soldato
I’ve had one, a brindle dog.
My sister in law got a blue puppy.
Bad temperament from the off, genuinely snapping at me as a puppy.
Lots of bad temperament dogs about.
I said it was ‘wrong’
A few months later it’s bit their daughter, I saw it coming from day 1.

I know a lad who had a blue pit bull too, he was 6’5” tall, body builder.
It was utterly mad and despite his best efforts he couldn’t get it under control -he was plenty strong enough to control it.
In the end it had to be destroyed, it was a genuinely dangerous animal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom