• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K Disaster, Bent on one side despite not applying much pressure when installing

Associate
Hi,

Not so long ago, I purchased the i7-8700K and was looking forward to a new high-end build. Unbelievably, the CPU has bent on one side after installing the Corsair H115i Pro RGB. I didn't use any excess force, installed the processor using the standard cross formation and I can't believe a small pump could have done this to the CPU.

The pictures are not for the faint-hearted and I'm gutted this has happened. I know Skylake had some issues with bending but still, this shouldn't happen.

The item was bought from Overclockers, and I'm interested if there's anything that can be done. I'm guessing ntel wouldn't RMA it as there's physical damage and it's my word against theirs.

Argh, guessing I'll have to fork out a lot of money to get a replacement.

IMG_20180606_134923_HDR-X2.jpg

Soldato
might be worth contacting corsair, think theres a rep on here as well ?

might have a defective kit that caused the issue

CPU wise the IHS could have been mounted higher then intended etc

Associate
OP
It's bent upwards?? How did you manage that? Did you try to install it the wrong way round?

Nope installed in the correct orientation. I didn't inspect the CPU closely when it arrived so unsure if it wasn't perfect from the factory.

But what if, say, it happened in transit...?

Haha, could be a last resort

I do have a 5820K I could go back to but would need to get hold of an x99 board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
If they can't rma try bend it back maybe? All that needs to happen is the board pins to contact that corner that is currently lifted or is there more damage?

Soldato
It kind of looks like it was installed in the wrong orientation and the protrusions in the socket that usually fit through the cutaways pushed the pcb upwards as you clamped it in. There even looks to be a notch where it would have pressed against the pcb.

Bad news in any case. I feel your pain. I felt bad enough when I stuck my fingers in the cpu socket when handling a £20 used mobo. Bent half a dozen pins :( Fortunately was able to straighten them (phew!), but it was upsetting anyway.

Associate
OP
If they can't rma try bend it back maybe? All that needs to happen is the board pins to contact that corner that is currently lifted or is there more damage?

Could try but bending it could result in the gbent area snapping. Yep that's the only issue.

It kind of looks like it was installed in the wrong orientation and the protrusions in the socket that usually fit through the cutaways pushed the pcb upwards as you clamped it in. There even looks to be a notch where it would have pressed against the pcb.

I see where you're coming from, but i lined up the triangle and installed the cpu correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom