8700k, H310M and MCE

Associate
Hey,

Been a long time, but hoping some of you can help an Overclocking noob out.

Trying to help a friend with an issue. They have a Gigabyte H310M with 8700K.

They are currently having some issues with system stability, random power issues, restarts. I can see that stock is 3.7GHz. I opened the Gigabyte App Center> Easy Tune app, and I can see that it has a few options. The highlighted one is 'Default' with info below stating CPU (1 core) and a value of 4.7GHz.

Upon some investigating I see talk about MCE which could be enabled, causing this. If so, is that a Bios setting I can disable on the motherboard? I want to rule out any sort of auto overclocking if I can. Anyone have any experience with that Board / CPU, or MCE in general. Task Manager base speed is 3.7GHz - just not sure what values to trust and if the Auto overclock is activated somewhere causing problems? Haven't been able to get my hands on it to check BIOS myself (has been reset to default if I remember recently). Even at the bottom of the 'Easy Tune' app, there is a value which fluctuates between 3.4 and 4.5GHz if that helps - making me believe there is some sort of overclock on.

Thanks so much for any info!

Soldato
Again im not 100% sure, someone more helpful will be along soon im sure...but..

Surely that the motherboard is not designed for OCing on a chip like the 8700K?

I would have thought power delivery and thermals might have been an issue??

Soldato
Multicore enhancement just enables the maximum boost clock on all cores at once. Normally current gen CPUs behave like this:

Base clock speed is exactly that. Individual core clocks can be boosted under load to improve performance (this is done automatically by the firmware and software).

The boost clock also has a maximum value. One core can usually boost quite high, but if two cores are loaded the boost clock limit is lower. Then there is a maximum all core boost value.

MCE allows the CPU to apply the maximum single core boost to all cores. It's not overclocking as such, it's enabling stock boost behaviour to be applied to more cores.

It's normal, the system will handle its own clock speeds. You can disable MCE if you're worried it'll generate any extra heat.

Associate
OP
Multicore enhancement just enables the maximum boost clock on all cores at once. Normally current gen CPUs behave like this:

Base clock speed is exactly that. Individual core clocks can be boosted under load to improve performance (this is done automatically by the firmware and software).

The boost clock also has a maximum value. One core can usually boost quite high, but if two cores are loaded the boost clock limit is lower. Then there is a maximum all core boost value.

MCE allows the CPU to apply the maximum single core boost to all cores. It's not overclocking as such, it's enabling stock boost behaviour to be applied to more cores.

It's normal, the system will handle its own clock speeds. You can disable MCE if you're worried it'll generate any extra heat.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Ok, so if you could point out where I would change MCE On/Off. Is it Bios setting? I want to completely rule out any sort of Overclocking if I can mainly, until I troubleshoot the problem further. 4.7GHz is more than the advertised clock speed of the chip so something is on.

Soldato
MCE is generally a BIOS setting. On a H310 board it probably won't have good enough VRM's to support the chip doing 4.7Ghz across all cores with the higher than normal vcore that manufacturers set. Turn MCE off and allow it to "boost" normally.

***Once sorted, don't forget to belittle your friend for buying an 8700K overclockable chip and then putting concrete boots on it by using a H310.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom