• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700k Overheating

Associate
while playing F1 2018 I have been recently getting the game freezing or CTDs. At first I thought it might be a problem with a recently purchased 2nd hand 1080ti graphics card but when I checked the cpu temps I found that cores 0 and 1 were running at 100 and 97 degs respectively the other 4 were in the mid 60s (no hyperthreading). I had the cpu de-lidded when new and the tim replaced with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaught which I also used on the cooler, a Corsair h100i. I O/Cd the cpu to 5.0 ghz 1.35v which ran in the mid 60s using prime95 non avx and has been fine for almost 18 months. Do you think re-seating the cooler will have any impact or has the cpu been damaged. if I need to replace the cpu what would you recommend for my system.

Asus Prime z370-a
Zotac amp extreme 1080ti
32 gb 3200mhz ram
Corsair h100i cooler

Also thinking of getting a 3080 when available

Resetting BIOS to defaults results in F1 2018 running OK, with temps in the 50-70 range but when running Prime95 cores 0 and 1 still in the 90-100 range.

Thank-you for any comments/advice.

Last edited:
Associate
Try reseating cooler, maybe re- delid, alternatively you could drop in a 9th gen cpu, just make sure you're on a bios that supports 9th gen. My 8700k was hitting 100c and it turned out to be a faulty aio, sticking a 9th gen in now will fair well with a new 30 series gpu althoug i'm sure the 8700k would be fine i'd take the opportunity to go 8 core which is exactly what I did. Good luck. Edit, if you upgrade to 9th gen just check vrm temps, mine were absolutely fine but I hav fitted a 40mm fan over the vrms incase i overclock in future.

Last edited:
Associate
Those coolers are not reliable. Check if it even has coolant in the rad.
It was a H100i v2 that failed on me, pump was working but I was still hitting 100c, be interested if anyone else had these aio coolers fail. Replaced it with a nzxt z63 kraken with a 6 year warranty which i'll replace before it expires, just couldn't go back to a bulky air cooler.

Associate
Shame since you cant beat the reliability of a bulky air cooler. Thats the reason i wont go to water cooler can't be dealing with random failures.
I understand that, I did get a cooler master twin tower cooler but just didn't like the look, i've been using aio coolers for a long time now and the corsair one was the first failure i've had, funny enough i was about to change it anyway as really likeed the idea of the lcd display on the z krakens but totally understand and respect those who won't buy them for the reasons you state, my experience with aio coolers have been very positive and having my first failure hasn't put me off them.

Associate
another person who values looks over function and reliability. is your pc on your desk with side panel open all the time to see all the bling bling going on?
The Z63 functions brilliant, aios reliability has been excellent for me over many years so no concerns there, my z63 outperforms the twin tower air cooler i have by a good margin, Once I replace the 1080ti for a 3080/3090 i will have a very high performing pc so making it look good with bling to my eye is something i enjoy personally and yes my pc sits high next to my desk with a large side window displaying 6 rgb fans, rgb gpu, rgb gpu support bracket and temp readouts for cpu & gpu on my water block and i really enjoy it, i know some don't care to much for bling and that's absolutely fine.

Associate
The Z63 functions brilliant, aios reliability has been excellent for me over many years so no concerns there, my z63 outperforms the twin tower air cooler i have by a good margin, Once I replace the 1080ti for a 3080/3090 i will have a very high performing pc so making it look good with bling to my eye is something i enjoy personally and yes my pc sits high next to my desk with a large side window displaying 6 rgb fans, rgb gpu, rgb gpu support bracket and temp readouts for cpu & gpu on my water block and i really enjoy it, i know some don't care to much for bling and that's absolutely fine.

What a gracious response. A good weekend to you, sir!

Caporegime
Will be going AIO for my next build, I'm fairly sure. Just don't like the idea in 2020 of bolting a (huge) lump of copper to my motherboard :p

Aside from looks it's just so medieval :p

Seems there's a lot of choice in the £50-£100 price bracket - slightly more expensive than a regular air cooler, and will need to do some homework I guess.

Associate
I had the same issue recently with my 8700K about 2 years after the delid, one core would run about 20c above the others and then hit 95c+ during stress testing and caused the CPU to underclock down to 3600MHz. Remounting my AIO didn't help so I got the delid redone and it sorted the problem right out.

Back
Top Bottom