8pack Hypercube - build log!!

OcUK Staff
Sorry to hear that, I don't know if you are aware of my work history, but due to my time with MSI I've had more experience of Lightning cards than most and in general the GPU overclocking has always been excellent. The cooling potential and power delivery pretty much guaranteed that you could max out the GPU. Unfortunately the same could not be said for the memory, which is affected much less by voltage than quality.

That is, until the latest generation. MSI have realised the error of their ways and now uses better quality memory on the Lightning too.

I think I'm right in saying that 8Pack's holds a lot of Lightning based records at the moment.

Yes Samsung IC as suggested by me in preliminary testing.

I have 4 World records with Lightning Cards at the moment yes.

Soldato
I only had a brief time with the latest 290 lightning but it was an engineering masterpiece. I literally tried to kill it and couldn't. They're not binned so the core wasn't great I managed 1280 on air but with 1.5v and the VRMs weren't a notch over 70c. Truly a brilliant card and not enough people own them. People thought I was bonkers but the card just took it in its stride

Associate
OP
Slightly overdue update, but here it is!

The case:
AzQR0iz.jpg

This one came preassembled
cH9Alh6.jpg

so some disassembly was required
v2SNTDt.jpg

And here's what all the commotion has been about:
tw22VoA.jpg

well, that's the box it comes in. Here's the card:
Vffuict.jpg

Stunning cooler
cTmMWem.jpg

Quite beefy
VYh3CWE.jpg

With the weird light thingy on it - you can tell I've done my homework on the card
WOYzRgL.jpg

The family
knz3iAB.jpg

Time to get naked!
0cbLuMQ.jpg

GW4W4SH.jpg

Did somebody say naked?
cLVqh6Z.jpg

Naked party!!
Jwh854F.jpg

..aaaaaaaaaand back to normal..
kizthc0.jpg

All matching acetal and nickel blocks
Ub9Ychk.jpg

Not much orange left
BErxO8e.jpg

Time for a quick test fit
f96Skij.jpg

Looking good
i4yFOmh.jpg

And everyone's favourite part - the acrylic
nTB2ehH.jpg

Not only is that the only acrylic used in this build, it's also the end of this update.

Stay tuned for more.

Soldato
If a third Lightning turns up in the MM I'll be all over it... Despite my little moan up there ^^^ They perform absolutely faultlessly for gaming. Got any more for sale 8Pack??? :D

Almost a shame to cover that board with waterblocks, I really liked the orange :)

Associate
OP
If a third Lightning turns up in the MM I'll be all over it... Despite my little moan up there ^^^ They perform absolutely faultlessly for gaming. Got any more for sale 8Pack??? :D

Almost a shame to cover that board with waterblocks, I really liked the orange :)

I've got a dead one sitting on my desk if that's any use.. :p

Don't worry about the orange though, more will be added pretty soon.

Soldato
Don't suppose you'd fancy donating the reactor/backplate would you if it's destined for the bin? :p

I'm guessing pastel orange fluid?! What kind of rad space are you going with? I can see the 360 in the first picture but I've no idea what sort of space you get to work with in there :)

Associate
OP
Don't suppose you'd fancy donating the reactor/backplate would you if it's destined for the bin? :p

I'm guessing pastel orange fluid?! What kind of rad space are you going with? I can see the 360 in the first picture but I've no idea what sort of space you get to work with in there :)

You could've done, if our department wasn't so efficient - the card had been sent off to MSI by the time I got to my desk! Next time, maybe.

Orange fluid, yeah. The original spec called had 3x360 rads and a 240 rad, but I managed to move things around a little and squeeze in a 4th 360. :D

Associate
I only mentioned the lightnings earlier as this being an 8 pack system i though it would have been 780ti's as they are the best out just now, but as shawy has said *That's what the customer wants,that's what they gets* they are good cards and im sure the customer will love them as much as i love mine :)

Associate
OP
Quick little update for you guys with the final water block.

8packs processor installed, one of the best 4770ks out there.
inw0DJF.jpg

Covered up
c0imf84.jpg

I do love matching blocks. Especially when they're EK clean CSQ nickel acetal.
mNxkEf0.jpg

There's even a cut out of the motherboard block to fit around the CPU block!
NAbhHbn.jpg
Nice touch, though something is still missing that I'll get to later.

Time to plan some fittings
5vK0ECk.jpg

Planning 2 vertical lines down, if only the CPU block holes lined up with the motherboard block holes. :(
GoNH42J.jpg

Took a 90° rotary as well as a male to female rotary to match the height of the blocks
mUUywqc.jpg

As always, it's a bloody tight squeeze
IjFxqVD.jpg

Yup, tubing's in there
qBKT1Xk.jpg

Done.
DF498ea.jpg

Next up, the radiators. Already flushed them, see the Supernova build log for details because I'm too lazy to repost them. :p

Noise blocker eLoops. So quiet.
jCBK9mf.jpg

And, of course, the 8pack grills
beET4Mg.jpg

Now, I'm really quite picky about tubing in watercooled systems. The less I can see, the better. So with a rad in the top and bottom of the case on full view, I really didn't want to have tubing trailing down from them. So I had an idea..
EhRYijW.jpg
ignore the red fitting, just using it to test

The fittings were too tall to fit underneath the rad, so I had to use some standoffs
SVCSMy5.jpg
EpSx0ED.jpg

And the same planned for the top rad
ancLl5q.jpg

And a quick look of how it all will look.. The tubing will be nicely hidden behind each radiator and routed to the back section out of the way.
aopPZ7H.jpg

That's it for this update, more to come in the next couple of days.

Associate
Thats a good looking case. Will have a look at caselabs, very tempted by one of those. Whats the spec you've gone for?

Also, how the hell do you do those really close fitting 90degree fittings?? I spent like an hour trying to get one to fit and gave up...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thats a good looking case. Will have a look at caselabs, very tempted by one of those. Whats the spec you've gone for?

Also, how the hell do you do those really close fitting 90degree fittings?? I spent like an hour trying to get one to fit and gave up...

I'll have to get ScottiB to tell you about the case.

As for the fittings, I've developed a lobster tight grip and have no feeling left in my fingers or thumbs due to the 1/2" calluses I now possess.

Now I know where all the bitspower angled fittings went! :)
Looks very nice and promising.

Yeah, I have a bit of a problem when it comes to 90° rotaries.. :p

Associate
Coming together nicely, 4x360 rads going to be some hefty plumbing required 4 rads 3 cards, cpu, chipset, and mosfet blocks lol busy busy

Associate
I'll have to get ScottiB to tell you about the case.

Thatd be really great, really tempted by a case from them but have no idea what options id actually want/need for a good wc setup!

As for the fittings, I've developed a lobster tight grip and have no feeling left in my fingers or thumbs due to the 1/2" calluses I now possess.

Ah, thatd do it then. My thumbs were torn to bits after doing mine :D

Back
Top Bottom